Good trojan defenses?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by Comp01, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I am going to test out Trojan Remover, I am also installing System Safety Monitor again, and am waiting for a2 free to completly release, So I figure a2 free, and System Safety monitor should be a good defense system against trojans?

2. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Good luck .According to a post on the DSL forum SSM has died. I may be wrong but I can't really trust free protection. Would you trust a free gun to defend yourself?

3. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Uhh, Whats there to trust about System safety monitor? lol, its a sandbox program essentially, And it doesnt seem like its dead to me, look at the site http://maxcomputing.narod.ru/ssme.html?lang=en
    Seems well active.

4. root

root Registered Member

Indeed SSM is alive and in outstanding shape with a new version.
    I cannot comment on A2 but I never put my faith and trust in products that are works in progress. Ok to use them, but understand they do not claim to be finished products, therefore use with caution.
    My preference for Trojan protection is either KAV, TDS, BO Clean or Trojan Hunter.
    It is always my opinion that the brain should be the first line of defense and learning how to surf and email safely is 90% of the battle.

5. wizard

wizard Registered Member

So how do you come to the conclusion that a2 is a "good" defence tool when
    a) the program is not finished yet and
    b) the program has so far never been reviewed by independent sources?

wizard

6. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

a) I Have the 'beta' release version, seems good to me.
    b) Not every program on your computer has been reviewed by independent resources, now are they?, if you base all your software decisions on reviews, I have pitty.... Because if you never try a program yourself, you have no idea, IMO alot of reviews are biased, And yes, they are also biased ones here at wilders.

7. wizard

wizard Registered Member

In terms of AT and AV software they are. I can't just do a decsion to use security software because it has a nice GUI. What counts is how good the detection and the engine is. An unfinished beta can't give you the same impression as a full version especially if in the beta parts of the engine and the signatures are missing.

wizard

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@wizard- I do hope that your comments do NOT mean that you are not giving a² a trial. I value your assessments of security programs, & I am intensely curious to read your further reviews of a².

regards.......bellgamin

9. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I have given a² a trial and that's why I tell the people: Hey stop and wait it's not finished. A² is at a stage for the moment where you can't say this will be a good program or not. The expectations on Andreas to deliver something "fantastic" is very high amoungst all of us. But as the trial shows yet, a² is not there yet.

So let's be realistic and wait and see how the thing develops and base the decisions on facts and not just on "expectations".

wizard

10. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Cant help but put in my 5c :D

Process Guard (and add everything in your firewall ruleset to it)
    Port Explorer to see those connections, none of which are hidden.. dont even need PE really
    Good firewall and AV
    Bit of common sense

You're already 99.9% of the way there, it would take a custom trojan designed JUST for you, and plenty of social engineering.. even then it would be hard for an attacker, your firewall cant be killed or injected into (forced code injection, firewalls like Sygate already handle other methods). So I guess they would go for exploits in your OS or browser. Patch those up ! :)

..add any trojan scanner for good measure that is frequently updated, not necessarily TDS either

11. JamesD

JamesD Guest

As long as it fires, who cares if it's free or not. The guy's equally dead.

Personally I wouldn't trust an expensive gun I didn't build myself or at least have the plans to, so I can see how it works.

12. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

Since this thread began as a free anti-trojan defence I'd suggest adding the following things to the previus programs:
    - a free good online scan http://www.trojanscan.com/;
    - changing SSM with Abtrusion Protector;
    - Trojan's First Aid Kit,
    - using HijackThis,
    - using the settings you can find here. http://www.markusjansson.net/
    Of course in this way you are not completly sure but it's a good starting pont.

13. root

root Registered Member

I think dumping SSM for AP is not what everyone would suggest.
    I happen to feel SSM offers much better protection and superior support. Opinions abound I suppose.

14. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

SSM also works with (at present )more operating systems than AP which doesnt support 98 or ME i believe.
    ellison

15. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

trojan first aid kit is no longer supported, in fact it hasn't been updated for aeons.. recommending it here is a disservice to all.
    it is actually dangerous to use it coz you might feel you're protected.. a false sense of security is more dangerous than insecurity IMO

16. Gavin - DiamondCS

Definitely ! :eek:

17. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

Since it was said a2free is a "work in progress" i suggested the installation
    of trojan first aid kit using an online scan, too. That is, trojan first aid kit and an online scan are added to a2 free to achieve the minimum security.
    I think that only a madman could recommend trojan first aid kit instead of a2 free., so I didn' t think I could be misundertood.

18. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

hey tfak has no use whatsoever.. read me NO USE!
    IT'S JUST A WASTE OF HD SPACE...

19. bellgamin

Useless as an AT, yes; but perhaps TFAK isn't TOTALLY uselesss. After all...
    It will tell you everything that is running -- visibly or invisibly -- on your system. And it will *kill* any running process that you tell it to kill.

Or am I missing something?

20. Gavin - DiamondCS

Well it will show running processes that aren't cloaked or a driver rootkit. Having said that a process viewer is something everyone should have at least a couple of isn't it ? :D

21. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

good point bellgamin on viewing/controlling/kill aps.

I think the only thing one can say about a program which is functional but no longer supported, is are there other programs available which are supported and which provide the same or similar function. Also there is the danger of naivite by the 'ignorance is bliss crowd" in thinking they are covered when they are not.

for Ap control/kill/viewer, 2 actual working programs come to mind. 1st one I am familiar with the other I am not.

1) for those running below windows 2000 and for those who run at or above windows 2000 but make the choice of using this software:

I recommend System Safety Monitor (freeware but he accepts donations for future development). Max is very responsive to his users and I say that 1st hand. Contact the author via email if you have a problem.

with SSM you get the kernel Ap control & also registry control. Not sure what new goodies are in the new beta SSM 1.9.4...

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=17132

http://maxcomputing.narod.ru/ssme.html?lang

for those running at or above windows 2000:

1) Process Guard (I have no experience with) (freeware for 1 Ap control, payware for more control )

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=17323

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/

2) A squared (a² personal) should be coming out with a full plate of stuff in this genre (only the scanner is free, the full suite is for pay and it is still being developed)

http://www.a-2.org/en/

so again my opinion no need to stick with software which is no longer actively supported if there are alternatives, which there are.

exception below:

proxomitron lives even though engine no longer being developed since the filters are the key :cool:

22. bellgamin

I agree, peakaboo. For a well-supported program that wil kill processes & do lots of other stuff -- I recommend Process Explorer. It's a small program with a BIG usefulness. Get it free from...
    System Internals

You are gonna looove me for introducing u 2 this little darlin' sweetheart of a proggie! :cool:

23. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

Thanks bellgamin,

I'll give it a try. Looks good... nice & light on resources.

Just curious when you say "program that wil kill processes" does it do so automatically or do you have to manually intervene? In other words does it have a trusted group of Aps and anything else is disallowed?

just like to get some insight before I try it.

BTW I was just at that site last night looking at another program "pagedefrag"

lots of goodies over there...

24. bellgamin

It's manual. Just right-click on any listed process & there is an option to kill it.

25. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

If you want a good advanced terminator try this and only 29KB: http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=apt :)

And another very useful system utility, mainly developed for power users who want to know what's going on in their Personal Computer. It may also be used by programmers as a tool for tracking their applications.
    http://www.faberbox.com/fabertoys.asp :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.