Good security suite (made from separated apps)- advice needed.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mrnikt, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrnikt

mrnikt Registered Member

Hi
    First - Excuse my bad english :rolleyes:
    I need advice concerning good security suite created from separated apps.

Now I'm using Avira Premium AV and Outpost Pro firewall. But I found it not enough for my PC security. I was using Kaspersky AV and Kaspersky Internet Security but it missed a lot of malware.

I have tried MBAM and A-squared but in free versions they don't give a resident security althou the are perfect on-demand anti-malware scanners (for me :) )
    And now please advice me - would it be a good suite :
    Avira - Antivir
    Outpost - firewall
    MBAB / A-squared - on demand scan
    ThreatFire - resident anti-malware.

I need advice concerning - red / bolded apps, particularly resident anti-malware app (preferably free :) )

Maybe other propositions for on -demand and resident anti-malware.
    Thanx in advance
    Chris.

2. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I suggest you use MBAM and/or SAS and/or A-squared as on-demand scanners. Norton Security Scan and Clean is also a good on-demand AV. You can also consider using a sandbox, such as Sandboxie, GesWall or DefenseWall. Outpost has some form of HIPS so you shouldn't need ThreatFire.

However, if you were using Avira Premium AV and Outpost Pro firewall / Kaspersky suite and still got infected, then you must have done something wrong. Always use common sense when you're browsing the web, use a browser other than IE and keep your software up to date. This should minimise your chance of getting infected.

3. mrnikt

mrnikt Registered Member

Thank you.
    I need RESIDENT anti-malware. I know that MBAB and a-squared can be used ad on-demand scanner but I need resident program to protect my PC in real time.
    Chris

4. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Hello mrnikt;

I suggest:
    Avira Premium; real-time antivirus protection (as well as other malware threats) with excellent detection capability.
    Also relatively light/fast and a proven performer.

Comodo version 3.8 FW with D+

Firefox with NoScript and AdBlock.

Returnil or SandboxIE.

Keep SAS and MBAM as well as A2 (free) for on-demand scanners. Also, Eset online antivirus scanner.

Finally, a daily HDD image.

Too much ?
    Some will suggest that using a program such as returnil or SandboxIE eliminates the need for any third party AV, AS, or FW, but I don't think so.
    I believe that security involves a multi-layered approach and, of course, smart surfing.

5. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Avira Premium plus Outpost Firewall already provides oustanding resident protection. You can also use a sandbox, such as Sandboxie, GesWall or DefenseWall, for added protection.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

USA - Back in a real State in time for a real Pres
    GL. I think KIS is the best by far & it wasn't good enough? Is it just me that thinks your OS is not fully patched? Or that you invited malware onto your computer? o_O

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

In line with others here I'd recommend Sandboxie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.