Good Registry protection; can it be done using freeware?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by T772, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T772

T772 Guest

hey ,

As you can see from the title i am looking into securing my registry and comp using freeware, so any ideas will help.

I have been thinking about whether using Antihook and PG Free would other good protection from dangerous changes made to my registry, startup and Kernal based keyloggers and Rootkits. Are there any other combinations that might be good with PG Free such as Prevx, Regprot or Winpatrol etc? I would love to be able to buy every last piece of security software, but it is not always possible, so i was hoping that some knowledgle users at wilders would be able to point me in the right direction.

T772

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Winpatrol runs very well with processguard as does regdefend. Also I would use spywareblaster. Arovaxshield seems to work fairly well alsp.

3. T772

T772 Guest

BigC, ive used spywareblaster and SG for a long time, but i feel I need better protection along the lines of what PG others, but i cant afford to buy the full product at the moment, so i really need a program that can be easily used to work along side PG Free. I have read some stuff on Arovaxshield, but i'm not totally sure of this product yet. As for regdefend is this free and fairly easy to get to grips with, T

Thanks again BigC

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't think RD is free but I have used arovaxshield and it behaved very well and notified when something tried to install in the registry or attempted to run. I don't think it is a bad program at all. And it didn't have any conflicts with the ten security apps I have installed.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

6. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

You can use the free version of RegDefend which allows you to block any registry modifications you want automatically.

http://www.ghostsecurity.com/index.php?page=regdefend

7. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Does RD have a freeware version now, or are you speaking of the trial?

8. bolleke3

bolleke3 Registered Member

9. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Notok,
    Regdefend drops back to freeware functionality after the trial has completed, I think this was new as of version 2

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Very cool. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the freeware version and the full?

11. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I use WinPatrol PLUS and works very well... ;)

The free version is also very good and useful.

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I also didn't know that RegDefend turns Free when the trial ends :)

Whould be nice to the difference between them... ;)

13. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

I am also interested in knowing this.... :D

14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

T772 - if u want something like PG, you can try system safety monitor or antihook and both are free iirc. for registry protection i think MJRegWatcher may be the best freebie.

15. chew

chew Registered Member

Me too is interested in RegDefend if it is free.

Sorry but where is the free version? Is version 2.00 the one?

How do you install it? Some simple instruction for installation and uninstallation would be good.

:oops:

16. T772

T772 Guest

Hi, Thanks for such good replys >System safety monitor and MJ Watcher both look like execellent programs, also i didnt realise that Regdefend had a freeware version! All in all its been really helpful posting for help on this topic, always can count on poeple @ wilders!! Thanks Tom

17. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I guess that depends on how much the free version of RegDefend covers ;) Anyone know?

18. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

http://www.ghostsec.com/gsshelp/ - Frequently Asked Questions

Question 7. Once RegDefend changes into the FREE version, which features are disabled?
    The ability to click BLOCK on alerts is removed. However the ability to automatically block registry events (without user interaction) is still possible. There are other benefits of buying the FULL / UNLIMITED version of RegDefend, such as discounts on future software, future features not available in the FREE version and most importantly to keep research going for RegDefend. The FREE version of RegDefend can be used as long as the user requires.

19. ice60

ice60 Guest

thanks, Jason :cool:

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Anybody can help me, I am a BEGINER, what i should choose, RegDefend free version or MJ RejWatcher( as I want free). How you campare the 2. I will be thankful.

21. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

Winpooch is recommended, it uses api hooking method, You can create your own filters, make it as restrictive as you want it to be.. even whitelist all your apps that are trusted :D It blocks more than registry changes too.. completely free/open source

22. GUI_Tex

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

24. GUI_Tex

25. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

i've noticed that Kerio 4.2 asks me about registry changes when i install something. How good is kerio compared to say RegDefend or the free one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.