Good Questions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bodalicious, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bodalicious

Bodalicious Guest

I just uninstalled Kaspersky 5 even though I payed for it. I didnt like the long time it took to load when windows starts. Have gone back to AntiVir even though its automatic updater isnt really automatic since you get a popup which you have to press to update, dont know why they cant make it truely automatic, good question. AntiVir had detection rates of high 90's in a Rokop test but the AV Comparitives detection rate is much lower, again very strange, which one is the correct result? Also why doesnt Rokop or AV Comparitives ever test AVG given that its a very popular AV, hmm good question.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you might want to check antivirs detections rates here and kasperskys here and AVG here

3. Bodalicious

Bodalicious Guest

VB just gives pass or fails which doesnt give any meaningful information except for simpletons given that fails may be due to some technicality rather than a major flaw in detection performance.

4. bigc73542

Thats possible but VB is still one of the most respected av test sites.

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

you may find that running Kav as an ondemand scanner and another such as anti vir or even Vet (e trust free) as your real time monitor will work well. and provide very good security .

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Take the case of VirusBuster. It has 7 consecutive 100% awards on Virus Bulletin's most recent tests. Yet it is ranked 33rd by VirusP's recent test. Would you trust VBuster as YOUR first line of defense?

Think about it. ;)

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I have had the same problem, particularly after installing SP2. Once up and running, KAV 5 runs very smoothly but boot-up times are considerably increased.

But it seems a shame not to use Kaspersky if you have paid for this AV and therefore why not try a different version? You can use your present key-file for the earlier KAV AV's. Then, if the up and coming maintenance pack from Kaspersky solves the slow startup, revert back to KAV 5. Make sure however, that you COMPLETELY uninstall one version before installing a different one.

1. AVP 3.5; The Swiss Kaspersky AV;http://www.avp.ch/E/downloadv2.stm Very light footprint, only one running process which takes up less than 3MB memory. A bare-bones scanner, but uses the same definitions as later versions. Virus detection as good as Kav 4.5 & 5. Still highly recommended if you are using Win 98/2000. Runs quite happily on WIN XP but there may be some compatibility issues, especially when you use Windows Networking.

2. KAV 4.5; Although like AVP 3.5, no longer officially supported, you can still download this version from the Swiss site. This version is a lot more configurable.

When installing just place your present key-file in C:\Program Files/Common Files/KAV(AVP) Shared Files.

Both of these versions do not have any startup problems on my computers, so may be worth a try. Further, both of these AV's are very easy to setup, compared to KAV 5, as a backup scanner, if you want to use KAV in this way.

Kaspersky will give you much better protection than AntiVir, or most other AV's, so I would try the earlier versions to check whether these will run on YOUR system without any problems. For all things Kaspersky have a look here; http://www.iggyz.com/book/kav.html/

AVG is very popular because it is free and most people coming from the big 2 retail AV's find it much lighter on system resources/memory. However, free AV programs in general cannot match the detection rates of commercial AV software. Overall, if you look at the results at a number of test sites, all the free AV's fall behind the pack.

8. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Hi
    4.5 is still officially supported,have just renewed my licence for kav and was reassured by Joanne at Nest(kav resellers UK)that it will be for quite a long time yet.I made this enquiry because I dont like Kav 5 and until it is sorted out(fragmentation probs,system restore bloating)I dont want to use it.
    As an experiment,a few months back,I replaced 4.5 on my machine with 3.5(always had very fond memories of that version:-lightness on system,speed ,simplicity of interface)but found it was actually slighly slower than 4.5 on this PC,this may be due to the fact that it has a lot of memory(over 1gb)so 3.5 might be better on machine with less,but I really think it was a case of "absence makes the heart grow fonder" and I was actually remembering it as being better than it actually was
    Steve
    Ps I dont think kav5 actually takes a long time to load on boot-up it runs in the backround at start up monitoring boot up now you have sp2 installed there is more to monitor during this period(I take it you are talking about "wait time" before GUI flashes up?)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  9. Blackcat

Signatures for this AV and AVP 3.5 will of course be available in the future, but both of these AV's are 'officially not supported' as they are no longer the recognised present version available for download or purchase from their main Kaspersky Home sites
    I have seen this slow startup times on all 5 Home computers here, in some cases bootup took 4-5 minutes longer than usual with KAV 5, compared to AVP 3.5 and KAV 4.5 on the same systems. I have also seen this slowdown at work on many more computers, even before SP2 was installed. This slow startup has been reported by many people, but others report no problems loading at all.

Overall, it is partly related to the new version seeming to check more files before the system tray icon loads, as there is intense disc activity before the KAV 5 icon appears. But this is not the full explanation, I believe, for the much slower startup.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  10. steve1955

4.5 is still available for download from kasperky main site(ftp site) in fact just had update from 4.5.0.94 to 4.5.0.104 which is not just a signature update
    ftp://ftp.kaspersky-labs.com/products/release/english/homeuser/kavpersonal4.5/
    also was told by Lisa of Kaspersky UK that 4.5 would be fully supported into the forseable future

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I believe Steve is right. Igor Kurzin says in this Thread, that: "Version 4.5 is supported. Will be supported for at least a year. You can, by the way, also download a Personal Pro version and then install it with your key from Personal. It will work fine, but some "pro" features won't be available." :)

Regards

12. steve1955

The same applies for Kav for Windows workstation that can be used on personal key but some features are disabled:-was advised by Kaspersky UK to try this version as a "fix" when I had a problem with a new release of Sygate firewall which had a prob running on my system and they knew that it ran ok with Kav workstation can be found here if anyone wants to use it:-
    ftp://ftp.kaspersky-labs.com/produc...sinessoptimal/workstations/kavwinworkstation/
    (you dont get asked to "buy" more than 1 copy using this link,which I think is the case if you go via link on Kaspersky.com home page)
    Steve

13. Blackcat

We are splitting hairs here. If you read my previous post carefully you will hopefully see that I stated;
    This means that the present KAV 5 is the main version they are displaying on their main sites for trial, purchase and download. I would not call the ftp site for the v4.5 download a prominent site that the average Joe would know about!
    So just to recap, AVP 3.5 and KAV 4.5 are still available for download, definition and, where appropriate, engine upgrades, but they are now NOT the ‘officially supported’ AV in terms of their flag-ship product.

Let's hope this nitpicking has not put Bodalicious off trying the older versions.

14. Bodalicious

Bodalicious Guest

3.5 was way too complicated, 4.5 Lite wouldnt install properly so Im just keeping AntiVir which should be perfectly adequate given my Hotmail is scanned with Mcafee.

15. steve1955

Ive always said the best AV is the one the user feels the most comfortable with combined with a modicum of "common sense":-detection rates etc arent the only thing that matters(there's is no point in getting the "best" and not using it correctly because you just dont like it or cannot figure out how to configure it)

16. Bodalicious

Bodalicious Guest

Well some folks decide which AV they like best first and they interpret detection rates second to fit in with their decision and no amount of logic will change their minds. Some swear that AVG is the greatest because they like it and even when they see it usually has the lowest detection rates they somehow avoid making the logical conclusion. Same goes with NOD, they love the speed and low resources so they then interpret the middle ranking detection rates in a manner not to contradict their beliefs. Users of the top brands tend to do the opposite, they have a fetish about the near perfect detection rates and interpret any shortcomings such as resource usage or slowness as simply the means justifying the ends. Im sure I am also prejudiced in my choice of AntiVir and I interpret detection rates in a way which confirms my prejudice so I say to myself it has better rates than the other free AVs but not as good as the top names but this doesnt matter because perfection isnt really needed in real life, and I like its interface better than the others and it surely loads faster and does a full HD scan faster than Kaspersky, so I am happy with AntiVir.

17. lamx

lamx Guest

VirusBuster (www.virusbuster.hu) is not equal to V-Buster (www.v-buster.com)
    VirusBuster's product tested by VirusBullein and V-Buster's product tested on VirusP.

18. Uffbros

Uffbros Registered Member

Who cares how long it takes to boot up your machine? Kaspersky is the best AV in the world. My machine takes a lil over a min to boot up..What is the hurry? I just don't get it.

19. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

When did they start letting one use a 5.0 Personal key with 5.0 Pro?

I tried my 5.0 Personal key with 5.0 Pro when it was first released, and it would not work.

20. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I agree with bodalicious on this one.The results there mean nothing except to the impressionable (im sure most av vendors love the site) or to subscribers of the vba magazine who have access to ALL information on why a product passed or failed.

".......The "one false positive equals disqualification" rule was introduced, making the online presentation of the VB100 Award even more misleading than before ... in fact it put a whole new meaning on the word "misleading" ... in November 2000, although NOD32 was the only antivirus program in the world which made a clean sweep of 100% detection of every virus in every category, it was disqualified from winning the VB100 due to a false positive, while Symantec's Norton AntiVirus failed to detect a whopping 299 viruses but still won the VB100."

The above quote was taken from here.....
    http://www.nod32.com.au/nod32/awards/vb0207.htm

Has anything changed at VBA or is it still as misleading as that?
    ellison

21. Blackcat

Some people have reported much longer boot-up times with KAV 5.

I have seen reports of over 5 minutes before the desk-top is ready on some machines. Fortunately there is now a registry-fix to disable the startup scan; https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=59797 and I believe that in future versions of KAV5 there will be an option within the program to disable this scan.
    Before KAV5 was released it was thought that this may be a viable option but this was eventually not taken up by Kaspersky.

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have asked this elsewhere, but as long as any AV has a 100% rating with the OS you are using, what difference does it make if it does not work with Red Hat for instance.
    I am not understanding the problem. I will be using Windows XP soon, and as long as the AV has 100% with that OS what difference does it make whether it is AVG or Kaspersky?

Jerry

23. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    Last night I was in local Office Max :ninja: around and came across about five or six of those DefenderPro Anti-Virus + Firewalls marked down to about $10. I know KAV probably 4.5 is in that not sure about the firewall. What's that one? Is that something "love a deal Mercurie" should get maybe? I was reading above and I was thinking standing in the store about some of the very things discussed above (mainly support for the older version). :doubt:

24. bigc73542

defender pro has Kav 5.0 antivirus and the kaspersky antihacker firewall

25. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

KAV for sure, but these were likely old stock being marked down, Has it always been 5 gee how long has 5 been out pretty recent or long time? Sorry I hear all these good things about that one and know actually very little about it nearly 100% of what I know came from my friends here.
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.