Good password manager?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Gullible Jones, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

KeepassX version 1 is apparently no longer being developed, and version 2 is still in alpha and changes the database format, so I'm tentatively looking for another password manager.

Requirements:

Must not be "cloud based."

Must have a reasonably stable and future-proof DB format.

Must be possible to install and use on a modern Linux distribution, via the package manager or otherwise.

Must not make it needlessly annoying to edit the DB. (i.e. no manually moving or copying files.)

Not requirements, but definitely desirable:

Should support Windows as well as *nix.

Should be open source software, or at least use open source backends.

Should have some form of command line interface, if possible.

I suppose I could cobble something together in Perl or shell script, maybe using mcrypt or such, but I'd rather not duplicate effort if I don't have to.

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

What about KeePass 2.0? It's not in Alpha, and I've been using it for some time. I believe there is a way to import a 1.0 database as well.

3. tuprofe

tuprofe Registered Member

I like keepassx. Works on every platform. Had password generator. Full featured. Though no direct browser integration, you have to copy and paste. I'm OK with that. I use dropbox to put the db file in my cloud storage and download it to my various devices. including pc, mac, android and ipad

4. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Turns out Emacs has GPG built in. I'm saved! So long KeepassX, it was nice knowing you.

Edit: Emacs supports symmetric encryption too! Emacs is awesome.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.