Good news v4 firewall 1045 works for me

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by bodgy, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

OK, I have the experimental module - with this installed I have had no problems, and I've been on and off the net since 5am this morning - it now being about 8pm.

The only slight problem was when ESS4 upgraded, it replaced module 1045 with 1040 and all my problems came back.

A swift module swap - and all was well again. There have been two virus updates downloaded this afternoon - and before I email Eset, I'll just wait until tomorrow mornings update just to make sure I don't suddenly get an earlier firewall module installed.

Other than that, it is possible that 1045 may be the fix - for me, anyway.

Colin

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi Colin,
    do you mean that the new firewall module was replaced during a regular update or what exactly did you mean by "when ESS4 upgraded"?

Do you have the update server set to automatic selection (by default) or you update from a local mirror? If the former, is the firewall module replaced if you try to update again?

3. aieie

aieie Registered Member

Not the first time users post here that during upgrade (after activating full version from a trial, for example) the firewall reverts to a previous version.

Wonder if this is the source of most, if not all, of the firewall problems at the moment.

4. camperguy01

camperguy01 Registered Member

That's GREAT news. Hopefully this is rolled out soon.

This bug was unfortunate but it seems like the developers moved pretty fast to come up with a fix. Also looks like there's been a bit more communication from the mods the past couple of days. :thumb:

5. Forellenblau

Forellenblau Registered Member

I did't have this - since i installed 1045 the update process didn't touch it! I have automatic program update enabled.

Forellenblau

6. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

So, when are the rest of us going to be graced with the wonderous new version? I note my version of ESS 4 still only has the Personal Firewall Module of 1040 :'(

~M

7. harkman

harkman Registered Member

bodgy: how to get this module?
    I have some problems with the firewall too and want to give this experimental build a try.

8. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Hi Marcus,

My apologies I used the incorrect terminology.

It happens if a manual update is performed - auto update is OK, judging by this mornings update.

Update server is automatic.

I'll double check to ensure - test method wasn't selected.

So far my system is now working fine.

Colin

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

There were instructions in an earlier thread - however, I suspect with all the problems reported, they will want to get a more than just my findings before releasing the update to the lesser unwashed :)

Colin

10. silverfox55

silverfox55 Registered Member

What a cheek:doubt:

11. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I debated on whether lesser or greater was the lesser or greater possible insult :D

12. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

1045 on XP SP3 here and worked for awhile then back to the same old connection problems. This is crazy!

13. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Out of interest, what is showing in your logs?

Now I had v3 installed, and loaded v4 over the top and then performed the module swap, did you do it that way as well?

Just seeing if there is anything that might explain why this has been successful (so far) for me, but not for you.

XPpro SP3

Colin

14. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

Nothing much in logs except DNS attacks. I installed V4 from the website and enabled the test box in updates. Works for awhile then goes dead.

15. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Check that the firewall didn't revert back to 1044 or 1040.

Mine did this after a manual update, not sure if I had test mode checked or not at the time.

Colin

16. camperguy01

My firewall was just updated to 1043.

I've seen 1040, 1044 & 1045 mentioned here. Anybody know anything about 1043?

17. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yeah, it's 1 below 1044 and 1 above 1042. I have no idea, this is somewhat module madness. Are you running test mode?

18. camperguy01

lol - thanks for the valuable info....:D

Nope, test mode is off. I ran a manual update last night (actually early this morning) at 12:43 a.m. and now I have firewall module 1043 (20081111).

Didn't get a chance to surf the net yet today to tell if there is a difference in my internet connection but I'll post info. later after some useage....

19. camperguy01

Not that I expected the problem to be resolved with the 1043 module but V4 is still "no worky" with the internet.

Really curious as to why I went from 1044 back to 1043 on a manual update. Would be nice to hear from Eset. Hopefully they are getting close to a resolution.

1045 users, are you still good?

20. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I am, the only two things that happened yesterday that were unusual, but whether v4 was responsible or not is hard to say.

1. A couple of times some webpages took a long time to be served, much as though they were being put through a filter and checked - nothing in Eset logs.

2. Twice I clicked on a webpage link and the PC rebooted - very disconcerting when in the middle of imaging a disk :) .

No Eset errors showing in Windows Event Viewer either.

Colin

21. camperguy01

Well, I've had enough of dinking around with this mess.

I've "upgraded" back to V3 and will check here every now and then to hopefully hear of a fix. Hopefully 1045 is it.

Good luck to all who are having issues....

22. RonZ

RonZ Registered Member

I noticed that both of my laptops had been downgraded to the 1043 firewall module. One of those went back to 1044 during an automatic upgrade. Kinda weird. Both are still working more or less normally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.