Good minimalist firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by pajenn, May 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Also the LnS free version only controls incoming AFAIK.

IMO outgoing control is VERY useful for emasculating keyloggers in case one gets by your security wall. A very good & minimalist freebie covering both out and in, for XP & earlier, is Kerio 2.1.5

If someone already mentioned Kerio -- gomenasai; my eyesight isn't what it used to be. :cool:

2. If you want a free option, Privatefirewall with the HIPS component disabled should be fine. It's pretty light, and allows per-application control and all.

(PCTools Firewall with ESV disabled is also good, but I find that the latest version just takes forever to start, which is IMO a liability, at least for laptops.)

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

do u mean the tray icon doesnt show up right away or the filtering service itself doesnt turn on right away, from my own use i think u mean the tray icon is a bit laggy to show up (but not too bad) but even tho the tray icon isnt ther right away, traffic is still being filtered if everything is working properly.

4. tipo

tipo Registered Member

zonealarm free firewall :thumb:

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

From day NAT routers were out, I gave up on all firewalls, be it Windows or Linux.

6. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I gave LnS a try on a virtual machine and it was pretty sweet - light and easy to configure application rules by training. I'll go with LnS if I decide to pay or otherwise with Kerio PF 2.1.5. Thanks again for the help.

7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Back in the day when that desktop was my primary computer, I used ZoneAlarm Free on it. Actually I started with Symantec AV+FW Corporate Editions, got infected, became disillusioned with Symantec, switched to AVG 7 Free + ZoneAlarm 7 Free. I was happy with them at the time, but then AVG 8 came out and it was a bit too heavy for that desktop (performance issues). I'm not sure if there was a problem with ZA 8 as well, but for some reason I got sick of it and switched to Rising AV 8 Free + Online Armor 3 Free (I remember I definitely preferred OA to ZA). At that point the desktop had been relegated to secondary duties anyway and I was mostly working on my newer laptop. Not sure how AVG 9, ZA 9, Symantec ?? turned out because I have no desire to go back to any of them again...

8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Look n stop license is for lifetime?

9. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

No, it lasts until the next major upgrade (an upgrade from 2.06 to 2.07 would be free, an upgrade from 2.0X to an upcoming 3.0 wouldn't).

10. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

This means if I buy v2 I can use that life long w/o upgrading to v3?

11. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

What is CHX-i ??

12. mhl6493

mhl6493 Registered Member

13. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

14. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

The ZA Free installer is 40 MB, so I suspect the program itself is also heavier than Firewalls such as Ghostwall (0.6 MB), SoftProtect (0.9 MB), LnS 2.07 (1.1 MB) and Kerio PF 2.1.5 (2 MB). But I'm sure it's also more comprehensive, and maybe light in comparison to other equally comprehensive firewalls.

15. mhl6493

mhl6493 Registered Member

I think you're exactly right. Can't quite classify it as "minimalist."

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

CHX-I is just great, but is development is dead years ago...

17. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Kerio 2.1.5 rocks, and is as light as the also excellent look n' stop

get Kerio 2.1.5 here:
    http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page7.html#Kerio%20Personal%20Firewall

18. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

19. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

You may try Sygate Personal Firewall. Its free, and i believe you can still download it at download.com. I used it in the past, and its very simple to use. Symantec bought them out several years ago. I believe it was light weight.

20. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.