Good Hardware help/advice Forum

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AnthonyG, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

USB 2.0 Or Firewire Which is better?

Hi, i am wishing to purchase a external DVD rewriter. But on my machine i currently only have USB 1.1 ports. I have read that this will not work on an external DVD writer.

I have read that most external DVD writer machines give the options of using either a USB 2.0 or firewire to install it to the PC.

As i dont have neither i am not sure which is best to purchase. I would like to use the most reliable of connections for my DVD writer as obvioulsy i do not want the connection to the drive to waiver while burning a disk as that will ruin the whole process.

I phoned pc world and spoke to a salesman who said that a USB 2 is much better than firewire but they also said they were not qualified as a technician so i shouldnt take that advice as fact. So i was hoping for some expert opinions on which you think i should buy.

Like i say the DVD drive is 16x write so i am going to need a fast reliable connection between my machine and the drive.

Also for which you recommend which sort of connection is best for them i.e the salesman said PCI connection was the best and most reliable method is this correct?.

Thank you for your help.
    Anthony

2. AnthonyG

Hi, i was just wondering if anyone knew of a good hardware advice forum as i have some hardware related questions and i am assuming (i hope not impromptiously) that because my question i had made earlier on today about which i should buy between a USB2 and Firewire port has gone unanswered by the experts of the forum then i am assuming that this is not the experts field of expertise. So is there any forum which may be able to help with this type of questions.

Thanks for your help

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

5. AnthonyG

Thank you ronjor and Firecat i really appreciate your help

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good luck. :)

7. Firecat

Good luck from me too.

8. Firecat

You cannot call USB2 WAY better than FireWire, but it IS better. But if you only have USB 1.1 or use Windows Me (98SE and below do not support FireWire I think), then FireWire would be a better option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.