Good Firewall for Linux?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lucygrl, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucygrl

lucygrl Registered Member

Hello, can anyone recommend a good freeware Firewall for Linux?

thankyou.

2. Gitmo East

Gitmo East Registered Member

Take a look at GUFW http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gufw.html
    GUFW is a graphical front end for the Linux firewall iptables. The tutorial I linked to is pretty comprehensive and has most/all the info you should need to set up a home user firewall.
    It can be installed in most distros and all the popular ones.
    Hope this helps :)

EDIT: Just search your software repo for it.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

4. lucygrl

Thankyou fore the guide. For some reason I cant get any changes I make to save. It wont even stay turned on. Sorry, I guess Im just use to the windows where they have the apply and ok button. How am I suppose to save the changes?

5. Gitmo East

Gitmo East Registered Member

Thanks for the correct link Mrk.

Hmm without been there its hard to say whats happening o_O
    I would try rebooting and running through Mrk's tutorial a step at a time.
    Sounds obvious but have you changed the Firewall status to on {turned it on)... to my understanding changes should be saved automatically.

6. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

1st you have to open it with password and then drag button to right side to turn it on default system rules are good enough unless you want some special rules

link is here for new firewall

http://gufw.org/

7. lucygrl

Thankyou, I logged in with my pass, then turned it on and left it that, I made no other changes. I close it, then next time I open it, it says its off. Though, when I log in with my pass it switches to on without me doing anything.
    Thanks for the link, maybe Ill try downloading and reinstalling it.

Actually, I just noticed this here...."Ubuntu, for instance, does not have any services listening, so the firewall is not needed." What does this mean?

Im using Linux Mint Edition based on Ubuntu Stable Version.

Sorry, after nearly 20 years of windows Im struggling a bit with Linux.

On a side note, should I be using some sort of cleaner, similar to CCleaner with Linux?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  8. mack_guy911

just one and put on home mode you see nothing unless you see log or listening report there you see lot of things

how to get it is click on rules then click on listening reports you see like above mrk screenshots :)

as for ccleaner you have bleachbit but be careful using it never remove tmp files or you get trouble

i use bleach bit only to clean trash firefox and google chrome and flash logs thats all nothing else for save side

also in google chrome you have this incognito mode you can check that :)

9. lucygrl

Thankyou for the bleachbit tip, was really great, is there a good malware scanner for Linux?

10. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

It's been a while since I used Mint but afaik Mint will show you your current status when opening the firewall GUI.
    Weirdly enough, when you check the firewall as non-root, it shows 'Off' because you're not root.
    Check this yourself by enabling it through terminal 'sudo ufw enable' and then 'sudo ufw status'.
    It should show 'Status: Active'.
    Closing the terminal and then checking the GUI, it will still show 'Off'.
    Don't worry, it only shows you're currently non-root. It's bollocks but that's how it is.

11. mack_guy911

well rkhunter and chkrootkit but they give lot of false warnings as well no worry unless they show infected :)

as for antivirus i dont use any now but in past i use bitdifender and avast to scan pen drives in linux antivirus is no needed unless you want to scan some external drives ....etc and share lot of files with windows pc :)

just scan your files from virustotal online

also google chrome is come with great sandbox which work even in linux and firefox with no script more than enough for basic needs

to check chrome Sandbox Status

chrome://sandbox/

12. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I would recommend just using iptables. This is a good website to get you started. The Arch wiki is also an excellent resource. I've just migrated from Windows to Linux too (Arch) and found writing bash scripts to import/edit and reset my rules easier than creating them through ufw/gufw.

I would also recommend the book The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction. I'm about 1/2 finished with it and I think it will be the first technology book that I actually finish reading cover to cover. There's no avoiding the command line in Linux and this book is great for beginners.

13. mack_guy911

lucy girl please read tutorials on

http://www.dedoimedo.com/

search antivirus bleachbit.....etc lot of awesome stuff :))

in a easy way :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.