Good deals {plus I have a Bit Defender Question}

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bellgamin, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

First, my Bit Defender question --
    Is anyone running BitDefender on an older, less powerful computer? If so, does it slow things down very much? How heavy is the footprint? Do you like it, and why? And so forth?

Second, my *Good Deal* Link --
    There are LOTS of coupon discount offers on major software at Dozleng. Examples include Giant Antispyware, The Cleaner, Bit Defender, Panda, Kaspersky, many others. Discounts run 10%, 15%, & sometimes 20%. For example, the discount on Giant AS is 20%!

Dozleng is a reseller. You must order through them to get the discounts. Most of the discounts expire this month. I have NO experience with using them so... caveat emptor. o_O

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well BitDefender was never considered as light AV. Its detection capabilities are very high,but memory and CPU footprint is just too heavy.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I did use them for my purchase of a number of Giant licenses. They seem to be fine. No problems with either service or speed.

Blue

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I'm using Bit Defender free and I like it. I suppose it is the Real Time Monitor that is so resource hogging? Because the free version without the Real Time Monitor is about like NOD32 in resource usage.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I recently tried BD 8 Standard Edition and as a primary scanner it took about 30MB VM, and had no effect on the performance of my Pentium IV Box. I was very impressed with this AV in general. However, it did slow down my Pentium II computer considerably.
    As with Blue, I purchased Giant through the discount offer at Dozleng, via RegNow. My registration key and order confirmation were processed in minutes. So they appear to be reliable.

Those interested in a cheaper Giant Antispyware, may however, have an even better offer with CounterSpy.

It uses the Giant engine; https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=57283&highlight=CounterSpy
    and is available for only $19.95 http://www.sunbelt-software.com/product.cfm?id=410.

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

For those considering CounterSpy as an alternative, note the comment in post #39 of this thread. I'm not sure what
    that statement precisely means or whether that is potentially better for a user or not. Right now, Giant vs. CounterSpy is analogous to KAV vs. Extendia AV (or any of the other value positioned rebranded KAV-engine based solutions). A case can be made for pursuing either option.

Blue

7. Diver

Diver Guest

Bitdefender 8 scans very slowly on a PIII 450 that I tried it on. The free version requires as much memory as some AV's with resident protection, even though it is on demand protection only.

However, Bitdefender made good showing in the recent AV Comparatives proactive test and is fairly strong in most overall detection tests, but not at the level of KAV or Mcafee.

8. synapse

synapse Registered Member

lol i could remember when i tried BitDefender's Scanning capabilities (i could remember because it was just last week), it frickin took like 12 hours, and when it said Time Left: 12 hours 4 min im all like screw this (at this point in time, i was 2 hours into the scan) i tried to shut it off, and everything froze, What a real SYSTEM HOG!

System Specs:

AMD 64 3000+
    1 Gig DDR RAM
    2x Seagate 37GB 15,000RPM SCSI Hard Drive, configured on RAID 0
    Windows XP Pro
    and a 2.8 MBPS Cable Line

.... hence, my computer should not have frozen, does that tell you a little something?

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I have installed it on home computer (PIII 500Mhz 320MB) and notice huge slow down performance...
    I think that BitDefender is a very good AV with a very good config, nice GUI, but don't like the usage resources :(

10. bellgamin

Thanks to everyone. I mean REALLY thanks! I have learned two important facts...

_/ #1- Dozleng is legit. A good deal. A place to save lucre.

_/ #2- BitDef isn't the answer to what I am seeking.

My computer's 233Mhz cpu handles DrWeb just fine, but I am still searching for a frontline AV to be a back-up just in case. I am getting a more powerful box for Christmas, but my present box will continue in service so I am still seeking a low-impact, high-effectiveness back-up to DRW.

So the search for the perfect AV continues. {It would be rather disappointing if I ever actually found it. }

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Dr.Web doesn't need backup if you're not a total moron (and as i can see you certanly aren't one). I never used a secondary scanner and i never got infected (playing with strange files all the time).

12. shorty1

shorty1 Registered Member

233? Wow! I don't know what the new computer will be but I think you'd better put your seatbelt on the first time you fire it up. Maybe even use a HANS device. :p

(sorry about the OT reply but I couldn't resist)

13. bellgamin

I didn't use "back-up" to mean a *second opinion* to DRW. I meant I want a "back-up" in the sense of a fall-back AV against the future possibility that DRW won't update &/or their tech support again reverts to stone-wall mode.

In the past I had a couple of mild disputes with DRW's tech support. We eventually reached an agreeable compromise, but it was a close thing. Those Dialogue Science folks can, on rare occasions, be rather difficult to communicate with (language barrier) or even a bit aloof (cultural barrier).

Ergo, it is possible that I might some day get peeved with the Dialogue Science organization, & not renew. Not likely, but possible. In such an event, I want a good AV already on-board -- to fall back on.

14. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Some interesting offers there! Thanks for the link. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.