Good anti-spyware programs

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by boxcar, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxcar

boxcar Registered Member

I will search this forum, and look at sticky posts, but in the meantime, I was just wondering what some good reliable, trustworthy anti-spyware applications are nowadays. I've fallen a bit behind, a few years ago it was Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. The forme last I tried on my XP machine seemed a little bloated, and I still do use the latter, but good to have a couple. Oh, and I used to use A-Squared Free for anti-malware.

Thanks, and apologies if this is posted in the wrong place!

2. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

You can try Malwarebytes Antimalware
    SuperAntispyware

3. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

MBAM and Hitman Pro.

4. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I get 3 different "Doctor's" opinions.

1. MBAM

2. Hitman Pro

3. Emsisoft Emergency Kit

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've been using SUPERAntiSpyware for over three years, it's the only anti-malware program to discover a trojan on my notebook. Norton & Spybot both missed it.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Just be wary of FP's on Hitman.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The list I'm co-authoring has good options both on-demand and real-time. Ordered in terms of effectiveness.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Real time I would go with prevx, mbam or I believe the latest version of A2 can be ran to scan on execution only and is much lighter than previous versions, so maybe it can be ran alongside another av

Most av's have antispyware built in now (as opposed to a few years ago when most didn't). If you want just a scanner then you will get a few suggestions and most are usually pretty good products. On the other hand you may want to consider using an anti-keylogger program like SpyShelter, Zemana or Trusteer Rapport. Or maybe throw on another layer of protection for your online surfing which the free Prevx Safe Online could provide, as well as a few others. There's also web scanners such as bitDefender's TrafficLight, WOT, etc.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Trusteer Rapport's clients are primarily Banking / Financial institutions. Meaning there's not too many other places you can use it if any.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.