Golden Oldies

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Osaban, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I was checking, out of curiosity the encyclopedic thread " What is your security setup these days?" and comparing my setup 4 years ago and now.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=111264

There are actually only two programs I'm still using today on different computers: Look'n'Stop and ShadowUser Pro. It's not easy for a program to remain competitive in an technological field that changes very quickly from a hardware and software point of view.

Even though I wouldn't buy ShadowUser as it is nowadays, I find it odd that some programs that are still unique in what they're capable of doing are intentionally left to die of old age: ShadowUser is one and FirstDefense ISR (the complete version) is another 'classic' example.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm dumbfounded and perfectly pleased myself that old Kerio 2.15 is running along just fine and that's another Golden Oldie.

3. raakii

raakii Registered Member

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Some times my posts on the mention of ( Classic ) FirstDefense-ISR get burned because i become intoxicated with heavy "feel good" comments since i been one of the lucky ones to have been part of the Raxco version. But, it's difficult for me not to still rave it as one of those now Legendary productions, this one courtesy of LEAPFROG!!

There are others, but when you go looking for alternatives, suddenly the shelves seem bare and the answers return with a No Longer Available label attached.

I agree, as with other apps, like in my case ScriptDefender for one, these and other old programs scream out for a renewed ressurrection, but they are still left behind and given no more attention in spite of the fact that they were X-Tremely useful and beneficial to many.

Bottom line IMO is profitability. The developer's creation absolutely MUST return proceeds that far exceed what effort & finances went into them in the first place and during their run as a product, hence what may be of value for the home/business users might not equate to the developer as a long term revenue source, and so they turn their attention to other projects that might realize the profit line needed for them to stay competitive and to stay in business.

5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

6. raakii

raakii Registered Member

tzuk called it sandboxie and the rest is history:)

7. Basic

Basic Registered Member

I believe Proxomitron deserves a mention. This trusty program has been with me since my 98se days.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

My wish list which likely will never be realized would be that ScriptDefender become updated.

I use ScriptTrap myself (another Golden oldie itself), and it's quite another useful protection that would still prove useful.

Scripts of the IE family, has & still can reek disruptive havoc on a windows NT system and for me it would just makes sense to position such a miniscule app in event of some security program failure at some point.

HIPS actually makes SD obsolete if the truth be known, but still would stand as an extra sentry should a HIPS experience an overwhelming exploit attack.

Any opinions or suggestions on this are always welcome and accepted.

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.