Going really light

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by weboweb, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weboweb

weboweb Registered Member

Hi folks,

I'm running on a laptop with modest CPU speed and have decided to get really light with my software. I'm about to do a reformat with an nLited Windows XP installation and am looking for help wrt firewalls but primarily antivirus.

My plan is to install Ghostwall for a firewall, and I'm thinking of ditching a live antivirus all together and just have an on-demand one available for when I download a suspect file. Two questions:

A) Am I mad? I just cant justify giving away performance to an antivirus package anymore, since I don't download viruses or run insecure services. I mostly use my laptop for programming (Eclipse), and e-mail / general internetting (K-Meleon - so light and fast!)

B) If I'm not mad, what scanner do you recommend for on-demand purposes?

C) Any general suggestions for someone trying to cut down on RAM and CPU usage? I don't really keep up to date on security software so wouldn't know if there's a better solution under my nose.

Thanks for your help. On my main (faster) desktop system I use Avira Free and Comodo personal firewall based on your suggestions months ago and have been happy with them.

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

3 TIPS:

Try Avira Free and change setting from check at reads and writes to check at writes only. Writing of files smaller than your Harddisk cache will cause no noticable delay for the antivirus check, XP also has a IO cache, so in 95% of teh cases this real time WRITE check will cause no delay (only large data files downloads, for instance when you download movies via the web, will have some noticeable impact on performance).

Search Wilders for the thread on SURUN and FJXPFileSecExt to create a easy to use Limited User environment and Software Restriction Policy on XP home.

Have a look at the new Google browser Chrome

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

When developing software without a good backup/restore plan you are definitely mad, otherwise no you are not

5. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Why not give the new Vipre AV a try?
    http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/VIPRE/

It is super low on resources and still give realtime and antispyware protection too. http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2379&page=2

They do have an efficient firewall product too that is low on resources and even free trial to see how it runs on your system yourself.

6. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Why not ditch Antivirus?
    There are many GOOD and LIGHT apps: sandboxes, HIPS, behav. blockers, virtualizating, etc...
    Try exploring those other approaches, you'll be safer than ever and you'll be surprized on how light those apps are.

7. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

HURST has a VERY, VERY good set of suggestions, and his ideas do not slow you down.

PC protection is absolutely necessary, especially so with XP having been targeted. So please take HURST's advice!

Dave

8. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.