GoBack

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AndyPopely, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyPopely

AndyPopely Registered Member

If you run with the Norton GoBack product and you try to recover your hard drive by booting from the Acronis Rescue CD it won't attempt the recovery. The customer gets told that the hard drive is unsupported. Acronis should advise the customer, when the recovery can not be done because of GoBack, that GoBack must be disabled and then to retry the Recovery.

2. Alwill

Alwill Registered Member

This from the Acronis Online FAQs
    I have Norton GoBack installed. Can I use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home??

The thing is that Norton GoBack modifies the existing partitions' type (FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, etc.) into its own format, making them incompatible with the existing partitioning/imaging software while GoBack is active. This way Norton GoBack prohibits other applications from changing the partition table. So, for specific Acronis True Image 9.0 Home functions you will need to disable Norton GoBack first:

If you want to use the standalone version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home
    If you want to restore a disk/partition from a backup
    If you want to manage (create, resize or delete) Acronis Secure Zone
    NOTE: When you disable Norton GoBack, you will lose all backup history for the changed/restored partition and will not be able to undo the changes.
    UNQUOTE

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

This was the problem I had with Goback when I quit using a few years ago. Even Norton Ghost wanted you to disable Goback first, which sort of killed the point of goback if one did daily backups. I chose the value of daily backups (in case of drive failure or a softrware muckup on the drive) over goback which only helps if there is a software muckup.

Good luck whichever way you choose to go.

sh

4. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

GoBack has been discussed extensively in the following thread -

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=127898

It's more trouble than it's worth. If, for some reason, it gets corrupted, then the only way you will be able to restore your image is by formatting your disk beforehand.

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I think we probably should keep the GoBack discussion in the thread linked by Mark3 in the above post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.