Go from multiple boot to single boot

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by wrd, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrd

wrd Registered Member

I hope that someone will help me with this problem.
    I am using Paragon HDM 2010. See attached setup.

When I upgraded to Windows 7;
    1. Cloned partition SYSVista (D) from Disk 1 to external Disk 2
    2. Installed Windows 7 on new SSD (Disk 0)
    3. Really missed up something.
    4. Wound up with 3 boot systems (asked on start up)
    Windows 7 (Disk 0)
    Vista (Disk 1)
    Vista Home Premium (Recovered) (Disk 2)
    5. Cannot change BIOS to boot up from Disk 0
    Get "NTLDR Missing" message
    6. The boot partition is SYSVista (D) on Disk 1 because it is the only primary partition on the 3 drives that cannot be changed to logical.

I would like use HDM 2010 to make SYS (C) on disk 0 the boot partition so that I can now delete the other two Vista partitions.
    I am afraid to do anything because I fear that I will wind up with a computer that will not boot.

Attached Files:

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

It appears that Windows 7 stores boot files on SYSVista partition.

Please try the following:

1) Create Windows 7 repair CD
    follow this link and burn the appropriate Windows 7 Recovery Disk: http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/
    OR
    Boot to Windows 7 and do the following:
    * Click Start, All Programs, Maintenance, Create a System Repair Disc
    * Insert a CD/DVD into the drive and press Create disc

Then create WinPE Recovery CD of Hard Disk Manager:
    * Download separate self-burning WinPE image in *.exe file from My Account - My Downloads or by the link from Registration info email.
    * Run saved *.exe file and follow the wizard to burn WinPE Recovery CD.

// I would also recommend you to temporary backup partition D: via Backup Hard Disk or Partition wizard of Hard Disk manager.

2) Once completed, boot to Windows 7:

* run Hard Disk manager
    * delete D: and G: partitions (copy all required info to another place first)
    * press Apply to perform changes physically
    * once completed, right-click C: partition and select Mark Partition As Active option.
    * press Apply to make changes.

3) Then:
    * insert Windows Repair CD and restart your PC.
    * boot from Repair CD
    * Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    * Click Repair your computer.
    * Select the operating system you want to repair (Windows 7), and then click Next.
    * On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair.
    Once completed. restart your PC and boot to Windows.

3. wrd

wrd Registered Member

Mechanical Animal:
    Thanks very much for your post. I know that it took a while to type all that in and I appreciate it.
    I have been living with this situation for over a year now so my memory of what happened is now vague. I think that using Windows repair function is what got me in to this mess. Also, all of my Sys, Vista Sys + backup partitions are already active. See HDM scan.
    I know that you probably have Guru status but I would appreciate a second opinion or conformation by someone else before I start this procedure.
    I do not understand what happened that the recovery process is so complicated. I do not know what a ntldr is. Why will the HDM boot manager not fix this or do something with the mbr ? (this last statement will show my ignorance).
    Again thanks for your help

Attached Files:

4. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

@wrd

I'm not a guru :)

HDM Boot Corrector is a tool which allows to fix common boot issues but (!) it doesn't have ntldr file copy.

Windows 7 repair CD contains copy of ntldr file which should be copied and adjusted for your configuration.

===================
    I have one more suggestion which could help to check if you can safely delete 2 Vista partitions:

* Create Win7 Repair CD
    * Physically disconnect Basic Hard Disk 1 and Basic hard Disk 2.
    * Boot from Repair CD and perform Startup Repair.
    * check if Windows 7 boots.

If it is, them :

* connect 2 other hard drives back
    * boot from HDM WinPE Recovery CD
    * Physically delete 2 Vista partitions
    * make all desired changes (e.g. resize data partitions on Hard Disk 1 and Hard disk 2 to cover all unallocated space left after Vista partitions)

Once completed, check BIOS settings : Hard Disk 0 should be the first Hard Disk in boot devices.

Boot Windows 7.

Note: Startup repair will not make things worse. If first part of my instructions doesn't work, simply connect all drives back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.