Gnome Shell - One desktop to bind them all

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

Taste the future.

I've written a review of Gnome Shell, the new windows manager for UNIX-like operating systems running X11, focusing on non-linear desktop usage, similar to Moblin, Google Chrome OS and Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR). New, unique and rather good-looking. Enjoy.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-shell.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Interesting. Think I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks, Mrk. And you're right it is in the repos.

3. Trespasser

I tried out gnome-shell and it's pretty nice. I like it. Takes a little bit to get use to it but after that no problems...at least for now. Think I'll give it a try for a while. The big determining factor though will be how my wife get on with it.

BTW, I tried it on my Sony laptop running netbook-remix and that didn't go so well but on my Desktop running Karmic Gnome it's smooth sailing.

Later...

4. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

What was the problem?

5. Trespasser

I wasn't getting the close out bar for any window that I opened. I had to go to File then down to Close to exit the window. I'm sure it was because I didn't un-check Maximus Window Manager in Startup Applications.

Later...

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I had a quick look and I'm not sure yet.
    Its not as radical a change as I thought it would be, seems to of just moved and the menus around and put them together with a different task bar).
    Adds an extra click to do anything (open a new app, change between apps) and there seems to be a lot of wasted space at the top of the desktop (especially as you can't do anything with it).
    Compared to OSX it does not seem as slick and does not seem as powerful as Win 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.