GMER

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by John Bull, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

@John Bull

I always mean't to post this about Gmer setup.

Attached Files:

• GMER.jpg
      GMER.jpg
      File size:
      140.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

I've been using gmer for a long time and it's never misbehaved. However, I don't run 'real-time' antivirus or HIPS, so I have to wonder if those that have encountered problems, have a conflict of some sort.

Incidentally, I run gmer in 'normal' Windows operating mode, not safe mode and I don't disconnect from the internet or disable my firewall. Doing so makes no difference to the scanning process.

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Exactly! :thumb: (As it is suggested by the Malware Removal Fora.)

4. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Please excuse me raising a simple question after such a magnificent response to this thread. I know it seems "off topic" but it raises the question of "If AVG can detect and remove Rogue Rootkits, then why do I need GMER at all ?"

I use AVG 2011 and it includes an Anti-Rootkit component. It advises a manual scan to detect any Rogue Rootkits, but I cannot see any comment made on whether AVG removes them, quarantines them or just says "Have a nice day".

Do you know what happens next ? If AVG just tells me that a Rogue Rootkit exists and then walks away from it leaving me holding the baby - that is not much use, is it ? Back to GMER and whatever is the use of the AVG component ?

Thanks
    John

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

GMER doesn't works on x64 right? :rolleyes:

6. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Yes. It works n x86 only.

7. John Bull

OK, but why should I have GMER at all if AVG 2011, my standard AV program does the same ?

John

8. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

I just ran a GMER scan in normal mode on Windows 7 32bit with Norton AV running and surfing the web in IE. GMER ran just fine.

John Bull, AVG may run fine for you but it is also causes problems for many people.

AVG can be as 'unpredictable' as GMER.

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, indeed, AVG can be as unpredictable as GMER, but then again so can any other app. :)

I also just gave it a run in a virtual machine running AVG 2011 and GMER ran fine on Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, standard user account with UAC full protection.

Not sure why John Bull is having the issues he's having with GMER. Then again, each system will produce different results.

@ John Bull

In AVG Free forums, AVG does recommend users running GMER to give them more detailed information, when AVG staff requires it so.

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

The Anti-Rootkit component of AVG (or any other AV) is Not the same with GMER (or any other Advanced/Specialized Anti-Rootkit Tool).
    Many Malware Removal Fora use GMER as a Diagnostic Tool before malware-infected users post HJT or OTL log files.

11. ALiasEX

ALiasEX Registered Member

:thumb:

I don't mean to single out any one or two apps.

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I just have a couple of questions, I was thinking of downloading AVG's anti-rootkit scanner but I use MSE & I have been told there may be conflicts. Has anyone had a conflict with these two apps?

What makes GMER or AVG's anti-rootkit tool any more effective than SUPERAntiSpyware or MBAM?

13. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

AFAIK, AVG no longer maintains a stand-alone anti-rootkit application. It's part of their free AV (version 2011) and paid products for quite some time now.

14. markusg

markusg Registered Member

what is Rogue Rootkit and do you think avg has an 100 % detection rate?
    @John Bull

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

OK, thanks for the info.

16. moontan

moontan Registered Member

from what i've read none of them has a 100% detection rate.
    i think the best is GMER who scored in the 80 percentile.

actually, there is not tool that can guarantee 100% that your computer is not infected with any type of malware.

detection is not the answer to protection.
    but i'm starting to veer off topic here. ;)

17. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  18. John Bull

Simple really :-

I was completely wrong in believing that Rootkits were part of normal programs and that "Rogue Rootkits" were Malware versions. I now understand that the commonly accepted definition of a Rootkit is purely Malware and my terminology was superfluous.
    My apologies, no harm was meant.

AVG 2011 at 100% detection ? Almost certainly NOT, but neither has anything else including GMER.
    I found this paragraph in the AVG 2011 write-up, which satisfies my question posed a few mails earlier :-
    =====
    The free AVG Anti-Root is designed to protect you. It does one thing, and one thing alone: finds and kills Rootkits. Run it and it scans your PC, sniffing them out. When it finds any, it removes them. Note that it doesn't work with Windows Vista.
    =====
    Many thanks for all your replies and discussions, I only entered my recent post to ask about AVG`s Rootkit killer vs. GMER - The above explanation provides the answer.
    I will leave the discussion now and let it continue about GMER.
    Many thanks to you all.
    John

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.