Gmail

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by BMW325I, Dec 10, 2016.

1. BMW325I

BMW325I Registered Member

I dropped my phone in a puddle of water it wouldnt turn on so i ended up throwing it away,now i cant get into my gmail account its wanting a 2 step verification text code,i went through the process of trying to recover the email and they said in a generated message 3-5 business days and i haven't heard a word,its been about 8 days now?

2. guest

guest Guest

Maybe wait a few more days, then write another email.
    If you don't have access to your phone the next time, there is a possibility to use backup codes for signing in:

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Like when you're locked out. Just use the key in the hollow rock. Come on now.

4. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

when you get your access back, print those backup codes and keep a copy in a safe place.
    in the mean time, post on google forum and complain that they didn't get back to you.

5. BMW325I

Hollow rock?

6. BMW325I

When and if i do get back in i will write the access codes or print it yes,but im gunna turn off the 2 step verification in settings first thing

7. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

if you once signed into your gmail account on any other computer or device, such as a spare computer you own, or a friend's computer, or at work, you might still be signed in there. If so, you can get those codes, and use them on your new phone

EDIT: another idea: If you have google drive installed on a device , it is synced to your google account, and through that interface you should be able to get the codes.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  8. guest

guest Guest

In the case of a lost phone, the backup codes are helping you to sign into your account so that you can disable the 2 Factor Verification temporarily.
    After you received your new phone you can activate it again, but keep the backup codes in a secure place.

9. BMW325I

Ive only signed in on this desktop im using,and the phone that is gone

10. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

and from your desktop, you can't get to your google accounts page?
    Once you get to your google accounts page, you can generate codes, and even turn off two-step verification.

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I'm confused... When you replaced your phone (which you have done right?), the text message for 2FA no longer comes through??

(Not sure the exact timing but you can retain your phone number for a period of time in order to transfer it to a new phone. But if you wait too long, you lose it.)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  12. BMW325I

I put in the password and it wants the 2 step text code

13. BMW325I

i dropped it in a puddle of water in the rain it cracked the screen it turned went all black after that and wouldnt even turn on

14. snerd

snerd Registered Member

Did you get a new, different phone number? If you kept the same number, it should still send the 2fa code, I would think.

15. BMW325I

A different phone #

16. HAN

HAN Registered Member

If you are wanting a simple solution, the easiest thing to do is to go get your old number back. This problem will then go away instantly. Every phone vendor that I am aware of supports number portability. Even pay as you go companies do it (like TracFone for example.)

If it's too late to change numbers back to your original, then you're going to have to ride this out for as long as it takes via Google. The take away from this is to never change phone numbers without thinking through all the possibilities. Phone number of record can affect credit card IDs, bank IDs, and who knows what else. It's not just a simple phone number anymore... :(

17. BMW325I

Its a free government phone

18. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

I think you have no choice but to play the game the way google wants.
    I took your story to heart, I cancelled two-step verification on my gmail account, sounds like it hurts more than it helps.
    If I was you, I would post on the google forum about it.

19. guest

guest Guest

2FA is a good security measure.
    If someone has your credentials or they are leaked into the internet, no one is able to login without the second factor.
    In the case of a missing phone, one of these backup codes (instead of the 2FA codes) can be used and the user should be able to login and can deactivate 2FA temporarily.
    After the user received the new phone, he can enable 2FA again.
    With enabled 2FA it will be more difficult for unknown people to login into the account, but ironically it will also be harder for the own user if the backup codes are missing.

20. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

thanks. Truth is, you're right. If you print up those codes, and stick a second copy of them in your wallet, you're pretty much ready for all eventualities.

21. BMW325I

I did and the users said play the waiting game

22. BMW325I

It was logged in on my playstation 4,i never thought to you that,i have the 2 step turned off now :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

23. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Success! :)

I use 2FA for my Google but the text is my backup method. My primary is via Authy. (Which is on multiple devices!)

24. guest

guest Guest

Well done :thumb:

25. BMW325I

Who would of thought about ps4 lol,sony for the win :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.