gmail wants my cell phone again

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by caspian, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Registered Member

If I try to register a gmail account, at the end of the registration, they want my cell phone. Otherwise it's a no go. I haven't tried creating one using my true IP so I am wondering if they are doing this to everyone or just people who use a VPN or proxy?

But here is something else. And I am wondering if anyone else is getting this problem. I have multiply gmail accounts that are associated with message boards and groups. None of them are associated with anything or anyone outside of that group. There are no emails sent or received to anyone that I know beyond that direct association.

So I keep getting these little messages at the top of the screen that says something like "hey wait a minute, read this it's important. We don't have an email or a cell phone number for you and so if you lose your password we may not be able to retrieve it for you". Does this happen to anyone else here?

2. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

I have had that before... I say feck it. Either disregard it or drop Gmail. ;-)

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It isn't happening to me, I get no such message when I sign in. Maybe they're trying to tie cell phones to accounts again, who knows.

4. snowdrift

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I just tried to make another account to test it. Yes those idiots are doing the friggin cell number thing again. Screw Google, every time you try to put a little bit of faith back in them they put the dagger right back in you. Between this and the hypocritical China situation (which, until I found out the facts, I was ready to trust them again), they aren't worth dealing with. I'm switching email services and searching through Bing. I've had it with this Big Brother crap, I've got enough to worry about with my own government without adding an omnipresent online entity to it.

God help the businesses and users who decide to trust Googles inevitable cloud services with their data.

6. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

you right screw google,,thisis telemarketing tactics...
    google wants to know everything about you..lol!!!

7. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Maybe Google just wants to exclude China's hacker militia ;)

8. axle00

axle00 Registered Member

LOL you trusted Google?!?

9. tsec

tsec Registered Member

Choose the latter.

Feels good, man :)

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

There was a time when they COULD be trusted. It seems long ago, in a galaxy far away, I know. It feels like I'm on some other planet, Microsoft is improving their reputation, Google is, well, they aren't losing it, they seem to be going the Facebook route of "We simply don't give a damn". Unfortunately all of us are stuck with them in some capacity as they have their greedy little paws on just about every aspect of the internet these days.

Speaking of which, those of you waiting for a workable, effective ad-blocking extension, and, even a NoScript-like one for Chrome, you might as well hang that one up.

11. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

If Chrome can be configured to use a local proxy, Proxomitron will replace NoScript. You may need an outbound firewall to make sure it doesn't bypass it.

12. Gasp

Gasp Registered Member

I don't understand why asking someone to enter their mobile number would prevent spam?

I know of people who actually sell GMail accounts, and make good money. You can buy one accounts, or one hundred thousand accounts. All new accounts, verified and working. Clearly can be used for spam. Secondly, most SIM cards in the UK are free, some networks don't even force you to register then before they work. Pop in a free SIM, register for GMail, and spam away.

Why bother asking for a mobile?

13. snowdrift

To quote a phrase:

Open up and say ahhhhhh!

14. ArtemisX

ArtemisX Registered Member

be an awfull shame if you just typed your mob number in incorrectly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.