Gmail HTTPS failure?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Carbonyl, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

This morning I noticed something odd with regard to Gmail.

I usually log in via a manually created bookmark, which I ensure points toward https://mail.google.com to avoid phishing or SEO. This morning when I accessed my bookmark, I noticed that the Gmail login page was no longer 'secure' as defined by my browser. I've noticed this on Windows 7 running Opera 10.63, and OS X running Opera 11.00. The screenshots I've attached show that the https:// address is being accessed, but the 'lock' feature is missing and Opera explicitly states that Gmail is not safe for the submission of secure information. Removing cookies and clearing the webcache does not solve the issue.

Unsecure 1.png

Unsecure 2.png

Does this mean something is wrong with Gmail itself? Or is this indicative of a local security compromise? Any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you try another browser? and what happens if you access it without going via the bookmark

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I just checked with Chromium and everything is fine. Either a problem in your Opera configuration/corrupt installation or a bug in Opera.

4. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

If I manually browse to the website without using the bookmark, I have the same problem.

However, installing and using Safari has provided a secure connection that recognizes the certificates as valid. I suppose this must be an Opera issue, then. I've posted a question to their forums in the hope of getting more information, but knowing their forums, I'm not likely to get any...

Edit:
    I doubt it's a problem with the installs being corrupt, given that two separate machines on two different operating systems running two different versions of Opera are experiencing the same problem. But I agree it could be a bug in Opera. I just wonder why it started happening today, whereas yesterday everything was fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.