Gmail active account info requested by Gmail

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I wasn't sure whether or not to place this thread here, or in other security issues and news.

Today, a relative got an e-mail that came from support @google.com, requesting to let them know that the account is still active, otherwise within 48 hours it would be deleted.

Before she called me, she actually clicked on the link, which, fortunately, Internet Explorer didn't redirect to anywhere (I believe it's due the fact I disabled things like IFRAME (which legit sites won't use for nefarious stuff!), etc).
    But, I could see from the address bar that the link where it tried to redirect to had nothing to do with Google.

Also, it makes no sense, at all. Why would Google send e-mails asking for confirmation, considering that the account is used on a daily basis? This is a 100% sure way of letting them know, isn't it? Yes. I, actually, never even read anything about Gmail having a limit time for not being active, otherwise we would lose the account.

This clearly was an attempt of phishing, I'm sure. The e-mail support @google.com, could had easily been spoofed to make it look like it comes from Google. It wouldn't be the first time this sort of situation happens to trick people into clicking such links.

Has anyone else received such message? This is 100% dubious, IMO. Google would never do this. It makes no sense to me this e-mail.

I do not have this sort of message in my account!

So, be cautious and alert your friends.

It may have been Google, though. But, I find it hard to believe. That's why I posted here instead of Other security issues and thread sub-forum.
    If a moderator finds it appropriate to be there, please, then do it so. Thank you.

2. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

yes is dubiuos..
    read on raymond's site about it...
    you may have a worm now.

3. m00nbl00d

What you mention is the "Here you have" worm, I guess.

I still haven't checked her system (it's turned off by now, anyway), but will. Anyway, no redirection happened, because many things are disabled in IE's security settings. I'm pretty sure her system is clean, but it does leaves me an open window to scare her! I'll make her want me to deploy some simple security mechanisms, which are easy, but demands a routine to have them in head, though.

Some bad things turn out to be handy. :D

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Seems like you have everything well in hand, then you wouldn't be interested in WormBlaster 2.1.1 new at MajorGeeks

5. m00nbl00d

Yes, I even deployed Microsoft EMET v2, which I hadn't until now, on some of my relatives systems.

But, what happened yesterday to her, unfortunately, is what happens to so many people: They don't suspect anything if the e-mail address is masked as a legit one. :(

I guess that after what happened yesterday (nothing bad, fortunately) she will think twice next time, for sure.

I have really hight doubts that she was the only person getting kind of an e-mail, appearing that comes from Google. I wonder how many more people fell into this trick, and perhaps, actually gave their e-mail credentials to third-parties.

It's a sad reality, indeed.

6. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I received today also e-mail from Google, but in Spanish language, after translation process it looks like someone sent reset password request for my gmail account... I don't use this account but no thanks.

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Sure I've seen this message and it just seemed such a patently obvious phishing attempt that I blew it to permanent delete and moved on. I log into gmail at least once every day or two, so it was a no-brainer for me.

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I received 6 failed to deliver email notices from Google, I looked immediately at a time when I was out of the house and I just now received 3 more failed to deliver notices from my old web mail service. In both cases I checked the raw source saw that the really didn't come from Google and my old web mail service and deleted them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.