Global Hook question

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by wayne_b, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayne_b

wayne_b Registered Member

Current PG configure

Does it cause problems problems to enable Allow Global Hooks for a Individual Trusted Application if one is unsure if needed or not, Trend Micro PC-cillin comes to mind, TSC.EXE in particular, after having problems with my ATI Control Panel, I set Allow Global Hooks and the problem stopped (Problem: ATI control panel icon taskbar would disappear after starting)
    Since I enabled Block Global Hooks I had to set Allow Global Hooks for these application due to Error as noted below;
    Since I trust these application and since I do get 'Hook Flags' such as listed below, just wondering if it's ok to give permission?;
    Sorry if this looks confusing :( and/or appears to be a dumb Q

-wayne

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi wayne_b, Yes, the allow global hooks is needed by some programs to operate correctly. Trend micro probably needs access to one or more of your protected list files, this is quite normal especially if the program starts to create many log entries. If for some reason a program is changed then the checksum would warn you and you could make a decision as to whether to allow it or not, for instance after you have installed an update.

Regarding mouse hooks - Many programmes (such as Trillian & Netcaptor) require these for the "Mouse guestures function to work properly, they usually only make one or two log entries and I usually ignore them - this depends a lot on how you use theose functions I guess.

If you run TDS3 you will quite often be requested to allow a new dcsmutex.exe to be allowed as this update (usually weekly) comes as part of the TDS3 regular update file.

HTH Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.