Global Hardware Encryption Market to Rack Up $36.4bn by 2015

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ronjor, Jul 21, 2015.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/global-hardware-encryption-2015/

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Especially for SSD's I think. "Tin foil hat" folks will remain concerned about "designed access" hardware schemes.

3. redcell

redcell Registered Member

I'm very cautious when such hardware encryption technology is being sold openly to the public.

If they're more unbreakable compared to software-based, then law enforcement will have more hard time trying to decrypt/crack a suspect's hard drive for petty wrongdoing like freedom of speech. It just doesn't make sense.

Based on experience, software-based like FDE (full disk encryption) is still the reliable way. It only depends on the way someone customizes its encryption like cascading method, decoy and destruction mechanism. Cold boot attack, though much buzz, is not workable in most cases.

4. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I think I'd be very cautious whoever I was! Before you know it, it'll have a Clipper chip hidden in it.

What I would like to see is more open-source projects based on something like the Arduino or Raspberry Pi. Hard to get the business model, though I guess some of the privacy-oriented crowd-funded attempts go that way.

As it is, much of the hype seems to be about encrypted SSD and storage - OK as far as it goes, but doing nothing whatsoever to protect against remote or insider threats - which, if experience is any guide - is the most significant threat. So, I agree - you have to have control over the functionality, which means software.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.