Global chip shortages expected to last into 2022

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Feb 25, 2021.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Good reminder to take care of devices. I hope my laptop and smartphone will last 1 more year.

3. plat

plat Registered Member

Yes, absolutely. My graphics card is turning five in a few months. Keeping it cool and dust-free should help it last a bit longer thru this mess. It's almost fruitless to haunt the online stores for new gpu. It's just not happening now.

4. hawki

hawki Registered Member

5. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

The following article is in Dutch at the site of the Dutch public broadcaster NOS. At the moment I don't know whether there are articles in English, sorry!
    It's about the Dutch manufacturer ASML of chip-machines with which companies can make their chips. It's by far the most important manufacturer of those chip-machines.

Toptijden voor ASML dankzij wereldwijde chiptekorten - 21 April 2021
    https://nos.nl/artikel/2377587-toptijden-voor-asml-dankzij-wereldwijde-chiptekorten.html

PS:
    Sorry again that it is in Dutch. I hope that someone finds a related article in English.

6. longshots

longshots Registered Member

7. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Cisco says computer chip shortage to last six months

9. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Philips is strongly warning that the chip shortage may also affect the production of critical medical equipment.

Article in Dutch at the site of the Dutch public broadcaster NOS
    Philips waarschuwt voor productiestop medische apparatuur door chiptekort - 26 April 2021
    https://nos.nl/artikel/2378287-phil...stop-medische-apparatuur-door-chiptekort.html

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

But you know what's a bit strange? I noticed that certain laptops are still pretty cheap, so there is no shortage in the PC industry I guess?

12. hawki

hawki Registered Member

13. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I still seeing huge subsidies on cell phone upgrades too. It's the law of supply and demand. Teach that to everyone, claim shortages of everything, demand more money. :isay:

14. Rasheed187

I'm sorry I'm not following, can you explain what you mean? Because like I said, I expected that desktops and laptops would become more expensive, but it's still the same as roughly 1 or 2 years ago. It seems like for example Lenovo and Dell have actually lowered prices.

15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I mean that if there is a chip shortage why are there currently $800 discounts on cell phone upgrades? Should there not be a shortage?

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The suppliers need to give them that time so to fine tune embedding the new novel undetectable backdoor circuitry into them which only they can devise for expert control.

17. Rasheed187

OK I see, so you're not buying it, and I suppose you believe that in the coming months prices will go up.

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Dell, HP say chip shortages will hit PC supplies this year

19. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Two articles about ASML (manufacturer of chip-machines with which companies can make their chips. It's by far the most important manufacturer of those chip-machines).

In Dutch at the NOS (public broadcaster) site:
    Chipmachinefabrikant ASML rekent op hoge omzetstijging - 21 July 2021
    https://nos.nl/artikel/2390165-chipmachinefabrikant-asml-rekent-op-hoge-omzetstijging

In English at Reuters:
    ASML's order book fills as chip makers race to boost capacity - 21 July 2021
    https://www.reuters.com/technology/...s-38-strong-demand-computer-chips-2021-07-21/

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Where are the origins of these short supply chip makers? Seems logical for other different places to manufacture them. Rare earth materials?

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Car chip shortage to abate, smartphones could be next: industry execs
    st said.

23. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Chip shortage: Toyota to cut global production by 40%

Toyota is to slash worldwide vehicle production by 40% in September because of the global microchip shortage.

The world's biggest carmaker had planned to make almost 900,000 cars next month, but has now reduced that to 540,000 vehicles.

Volkswagen, the world's second-biggest car producer, has warned it may also be forced to cut output further..."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58266794

24. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"G.M. will idle more factories this month as a chip shortage drags on...

General Motors said on Thursday that it would idle six North American plants for two weeks this month and two others for a week each as the global shortage of computer chips continues to stymie carmakers...

The company is suspending production of some of its most profitable vehicles...

The move is the latest sign that the shortage of parts is lingering longer than most automakers had expected. Several had forecast that the tight supply of semiconductors would begin to ease in the second half of 2021..."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/09/02/business/economy-stock-market-news#gm-chip-shortage

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Too far gone now presumably but throw the chips out altogether and return to legacy auto manufacturing and the assembly lines will roll on. These days the fat industries never plan alternative fallback measures or for provision techniques. Even if it means building more previous-build standards (and equally dependable). Without a stupid chip.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.