GiveAwayOfTheDay at it again

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I specially like... but really like :rolleyes:... the following...

And... what I really... really like... but really like :rolleyes:... is the following...

Yes, people giving a low rating to a website/forum/service just because it's related to religion, sexuality, etc... it's a matter it happens sometimes. It isn't discrimination... Just people that simply don't agree with you.

Maybe I'll start rating websites with blond women with a low rating... I prefer brunettes. :D :thumb:

We need more services like this one. We also need more service like this, not providing an up-to-date domain rating. :rolleyes:

Anyway, to each his/her own, right? ;)

2. m00nbl00d

-edit-

But, yes... nothing is perfect. I agree on that. :)

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Like I said the implementation and execution of WOT is not ideal, but the concept of a trust based peer-review interests me in the context of heuristics.

4. m00nbl00d

Yes, the concept is good. I'm not arguing against that. But, if there's something that WOT cannot control is discrimination - unless they take away the power from their user base to rate.

They also lack a better system to keep ratings the most up-to-date as possible. As you could see from the example I gave. A rating hasn't been updated for way more than a year. This is simply unbelievable. If they can't keep up, start discarding a few sources again.

They've discarded a trusted source in the past. Do it again... hpHosts out of the equation... if they don't make a compromise of working differently.

Source: https://www.mywot.com/wiki/Trusted_Sources

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yeah, I agree. I think the issue with WOT is that some people to say " Idon't like this site, they're dumb" instead of "This site is malicious." It's an issue that I think could very well be inherent to any peer review system of websites but perhaps in a different context wouldn't be there.

Yeah, maintenance is difficult. I'd rather have the system not need it but I think that WOT has such grey areas that it's necessary.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Well FWIW, 1107 positive votes and 94 comments will convince a lot of people that Tipard.com is a spammer. And it's pretty obvious that GAOTD censors such information on its site.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

This is hardly surprising given that they are a somewhat "shady" website. As an example go to Google and search for: "site:giveawayoftheday.com" and follow it with some adult phrase and you will see a number of results come up - they using the adult words on their site to increase their ranking in search engines it would seem.

As for WOT, while I don't like it much, at least the website ratings are much more up to date and less biased than at Site Advisor. Personally I have no time or use for their toolbars as I am much more capable of deciding weather or not a site is safe than many of the people who post on both WOT and particularly Site Advisor. Unfortunately there are too many uniformed posters on sites like these who make false claims about websites and software on those websites without providing any proof to back their claims.

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Correct! :thumb:
    I really would like to know where Traffic Light stands...
    It is more reliable than WOT?

9. acr1965

Looks like they don't hold much back either: rape, incest or both.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  10. acr1965

Alexa seems to confirm your info as well.

Attached Files:

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Are you seeing this "on the site" or in comments left by visitors or spamming robots? I've noticed they don't appear to police the comments and allow course language to stay up, but I don't know that that means they're intentionally trying to push the site ranking by associating it with p*rn".

12. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I only use Djohn of trust.If I get hammered with malware then there is no one or nothiong to blame then my dumb ***:D I got a lot of descent free software from GOTD but stiil need to tread carefully.Some things are questionable and sometime just garbage.

13. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It's on actual pages on the site rather than just comments: e.g. ~ Removed URL as per TOS ~

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2012
  14. acr1965

Here's another screenshot. You can check Alexa too. Also, as roger_m suggested earlier you can do a google site search of giveawayoftheday.com by using the search terms site:giveawayoftheday.com then put a space and add key words to see what comes up. You will see a string in the search results. Pretty much pick whatever search terms. It does not appear gaotd holds anything back- father/daughter strings, whatever. Then you can try this on another site url (one you are confident does not use such key words) and try the same type search and nothing will pop up. I think sometimes there are certain programs that are meant to block pron and those programs appear on gaotd in the results. You have to look beyond those.

Attached Files:

15. MysteryFCM

MysteryFCM Registered Member

Just an FYI, tipard.com was supposed to have had its classification downgraded to the MMT classification, this has now been corrected. The cause of this is;

hxxp://www.tipard.com/download/registry-cleaner.exe

16. m00nbl00d

Another GiveAwayOfTheDay trick to get more people to visit them? It seems so.

Open this link (it's safe): -https://ixquick.com/do/metasearch.pl?q=AVG+Quick+ThreatScan

You'll see the first hit is for GiveAwayOfTheDay.

AVG Quick ThreatScan has never seen the light of the day ever since it was announced by AVG at their forums. -http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=173583

How could GAOTD have a version 3, if there never was a version 1, at all? :D

And, notice what GAOTD says:

Really? No longer? Has it ever been? :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.