Giveaway of the Day - Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by PJC, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

WOW thanks for this.Is this program ok to use.:thumb: :thumb:

3. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

Everyday I visit GAOTD and this is the best offer ever. :D

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Yes, Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro includes a Boot-Defrag mode, too! :thumb:

Attached Files:

5. Isso

Isso Developer

Auslogic is a nice product, but I'm always amused looking at such boot defragmenters. MFT and registry files can be perfectly defragmented online, so there is no point for them to be in this list.
    Paging file and hibernation file are extremely rare to become fragmented enough to affect system performance. Even if they do one can just disable and enable paging file and hibernating - and voila, you have a new defragmented files.

6. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

7. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Thanks! :thumb:

edit: @Fuzzfas - interesting test!

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Old test, indeed.
    Several things have changed from that time...;)

9. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

Well, in regards to Auslogics Disk Defrag things actually haven't changed.

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro has the best Boot-Time Defrag I've ever seen! :thumb:
    Great App. Reliable and FAST!

11. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

Do you have any actual proof to back that up?

12. Night_Raven

Good for you. But considering the version used in the above-mentioned test is the free one, that is the one I was taking into consideration.
    And while having all those options for offline defragmentation in one place is kind of nice, all that can still be achieved using other free defraggers/tools, and with better end result at that.

Really? I need to provide proof?! Gee, when people say how much registry cleaners/defraggers/compactors, memory optimizers and/or process prioritizers improve performance no one asks them to provide proof. Why should I do it now?

Still, I will try to explain my logic. Hopefully it will be enough. If not, well... to each his own then.
    First off, I was and still am talking about the free version.
    That version has had only a single change (from the tested version until now) in regards to its defragmentation and consolidation algorithms. And even that change is mentioned as "optimized defragmentation and consolidation algorithms" in the changelog. The word "optimize" doesn't mean the same as "improve" to me so that wording sounds more vague but since I'm a generous person I will give Auslogics the benefit of the doubt and assume they meant "improved". However, even then I seriously doubt they've made any remotely major improvements, so they're probably minor.
    As far as the rest of the claims on this page, well, all of them are true. The free version still can't use the prefetch files and still can't defragment the MFT or pagefile. Now, on that page it says that it can't consolidate directories, but in the program's changelog it says that its consolidation algorithm has been optimized, not added, meaning it was already there. A contradiction? So... I can only assume that Auslogics are either outright lying or they mean something else. After all, I am inclined to trust an unbiased tester rather than a developer who's trying to sell me something or get me hooked on a free version so he can later sell me the paid one.

If you still like the program, and especially the paid one, then by all means give them your money. I, on the other hand, am not a rich man so I use free tools that also achieve better results. It does take a bit more time and it is a little more complicated, but it's worth it. After all, I do it once a few months, so a few extra minutes spent are not really a problem.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  13. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Which other free tools are you referring to?
    Piriform Defraggler, IObit Smart Defrag, or UltraDefrag?
    These free apps offer Boot-Time Defrag.
    But NONE of them can reach the effectiveness/quality of Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro.

14. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I've given up on third party defraggers. For me, the inbuilt scheduled defrag in Windows 7 is enough.

15. Isso

Isso Developer

Hmm, may I ask why do you think so? I can see nothing special in Auslogics boot defrag.

16. Night_Raven

I was referring to Puran Defrag Free and especially MyDefrag.
    Puran Defrag Free does offer offline defragmentation. MyDefrag doesn't but there is a workaround for that if the user has a Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc. Boot from said installation disc -> on the screen with the "Install now" button click Repair your computer at the bottom -> click Next -> launch Command Prompt and use it to navigate to MyDefrag's folder and run the program. Then MyDefrag can defrag the otherwise locked files.
    This is a little more inconvenient, yes, but in return the user gets the superiority of MyDefrag so I'd say it's worth it. Especially considering that this shouldn't be done more than 2-3 times a year.
    Also, this method is even more effective if the user has created a special script just for offline defragmentation that moves pagefile.sys and the NTFS meta data at the beginning of the hard drive. So... boot from installation disc, run this special script on all drives, then reboot and use System/Data Disk Monthly scripts for the corresponding drives.

17. The Red Moon

This sounds like yet again another selling slogan.
    What does it do that the free apps cant.?
    It seems to me that its money wasted on this considering the free apps more or less do the same thing.:thumb:

18. The Red Moon

i will not use any software from puran from this time forth as the company is associated with spyware companies.
    1.relevant knowledge which is installed with other puran products.
    2.Babylon toolbar.which is a irritating adware .
    :isay: :ninja:

19. Night_Raven

I hate crapware as much as the next person but it doesn't mean the product itself is bad. A lot of decent and even great programs come with such crapware.

20. Aventador

Aventador Registered Member

Anyone who is arguing about this can go fly a kite. IT WAS A GIVEAWAY. A paid program for free so stop complaining. I actually took advantage of it and love it. FYI..............Puran products are a joke. The GUI needs a major overall. Never mind when you do a boot defrag you lose your restore points. Anyone want some cheese with there wine? I have also recently taken Perfectdisk,Diskeeper and O&O for a spin. ALL OF THEM INSTALL NEEDLESS SERVICES AND PROCESSES. I understand the concept of it all but I am in control of my defragging. One of my biggest pet peeves about any software is that after your done installing it you have 3+ more processes then you did prior. Auslogics by default does not install any processes nor does it run a background service.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  21. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I agree. Most tests I have seen show 3rd party defraggers do little to nothing to improve a computers performance. In many cases, they even slowed performance.

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Do you find the thoroughFile Analysis,
    during Boot-Time,
    of Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro

being the same with the ones of
    Defraggler
    , Puran, UltraDefrag, and Smart Defrag 2 ?

Not a chance!

23. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Using the Windows Installation Disk every time I need to Boot-Defrag? o_O
    Just Inconvenient? o_O That's....o_O
    What If the user Adds/Removes software very frequently? Only 2-3 times a year is not adequate.
    Too much trouble/hassle...
    Just use Defraggler's option 'to move at the beginning of the hard drive' and forget about all these....:cool: :cool: :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.