GHOSTWALL

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by lab, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lab

lab Registered Member

What do you think?
    I have cable and I'm behind a router, also have ghostwall free, is this enough?
    Thanks

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi lab,

Having a router does give some protection (does this have an SPI firewall?). For a software firewall, this depends on the kind of protection/security/control you want.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

GhostWall is not a firewall in a term that is used today for similar apps. I mean, it is a firewall, but it is only that, a simplest possible packet inspector, and may I say a damn good one. It does not feature appplication control or SPI. Simple protocol i/o. But in conjunction with Ghost Security Suite (and I think that was the idea of its developers) and ProcX, gives you a pretty good protection with the least possible hog. Of course, as Stem said, it may be sufficient depending on your router's fw.

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I will use Ghostwall and PG Free in a PC dedicated to Audio-CD ripping. Good protection with almost null impact on performance.

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Yeah, nice, or with SSM.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Your router is doing the job for you, ghostwall would only be of use if you need protection from your LAN. If you're the only computer connected gw is not needed.

7. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hey farmerlee. I have GW installed and trying it out, but I already miss my AVG FW. LOL. I wonder though if I should reinstall it since I am on a Wireless PC? My wife's PC is of course hardwired into the router, and I get confused as to what if anything can come from that PC to mine? I have file and printer sharing turned off, but I thought I read how with me being on wireless with another PC on the network, hers, I am in danger of getting malware if she were to download something infected? I hope I am making sense, but all I am trying to do is determine if Outbound Protection would be important for me to have because of this. Thanks

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Yes, your wife´s PC could be infected by a network worm and start to send bad packets inside your LAN.

9. duke1959

So would a Software Firewall with program control that shows outbound be advisable then, or is Ghostwall sufficient?

10. farmerlee

All depends how you have your wireless network setup, it may be possible for something bad to be transfered to your computer. To be safe its probably best to have a firewall enabled. If your system is starved for resources then the xp firewall or ghostwall are excellent, just disable file and printer sharing for the xp firewall or remove the lan rules from ghostwall. Otherwise the avg firewall is pretty light and easy to set to stand alone computer.

11. duke1959

Okay lucas1958, and no farmerlee my PC ran fine with Comodo installed which is much higher in memory usage. I forgot to mention that I have ProcessGuard Fee installed, and after reading this thread thought I'd try them together. It's a nice combo for protection I think, and would recommend it to anyone who does need low resource usage. I have a post in the ProcessGuard thread about if a Software firewall that has Outbound Protection is needed with PG Free, but what do you guys think about it? Ghostwall and PG free good enough since I'm on Wireless? Take care, and thanks to both you and lucas1958, I appreciate it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  12. farmerlee

Yeah sounds like a lightweight, easy setup. Personally i like to have some kind of oubound protection which is why i prefer prosecurity or appdefend over pg.

13. duke1959

Okay, thanks again farmerlee.

14. lab

lab Registered Member

thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.