GhostWall v1.150 - Free firewall for Windows XP/XP64/2000

Discussion in 'Other Ghost Security Software' started by Jason_R0, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

http://www.ghostsecurity.com/index.php?page=ghostwall

Changes since last version :-

-Fixed a system crash bug which some people experienced
    -Added IP Address to Country lookups in the log
    -Optimizations to rule and packet filtering
    -Fixed memory allocation bug in IP TO COUNTRY code

IMPORTANT
    If you want to get the new DEFAULT ruleset, you will have to go into c:\windows\system32 and delete the file called ghstwall.fir . After doing this, and restarting GhostWall, you will have the new default ruleset.

What is GhostWall?
    GhostWall is a firewall which allows you to restrict the communications between your computer and others. Unlike other firewalls which have forgotten their main role, GhostWall is simply a firewall mainly designed to replace the standard Microsoft firewall with better features and performance.

GhostWall works on Windows XP,XP-64 (x64),2000 and 2003
    It is completely free for personal/educational/commercial use.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Re: GhostWall v1.100 - Free firewall for Windows XP/XP64/2000

Screenshot of main interface

Attached Files:

• gw01.gif
      gw01.gif
      File size:
      37.5 KB
      Views:
  3. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Screenshot of TCP Block log, showing the countries of all the IP's who tried to contact me and were blocked

Attached Files:

• gw02.gif
      gw02.gif
      File size:
      94.7 KB
      Views:
  4. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

A new release, v1.150 has just been put out, grab it from the GhostWall page.

5. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I'll give it a try again :) Thanks! Any chance of getting the XP scurity center see this as a firewall?

6. Matryx

Matryx Guest

Close down Security Center.

7. Awsome-o

Awsome-o Guest

Hi,

Ghost Firewall is a breath of fresh air...

*if you could just add Program specific blocks/allowances, to the next version, then this will sort out so many people it wud be untrue* Would this be hard to do?

The fact that it works with x64 is great, Tiny personal firewall 2005 the only other firewall that works with x64 is an absoulte beast, im a tech head and i have no idea where to start with it

If i were you, i'd plug this to buggery, as ive searched high and low for an x64 firewall....major weakness of the OS :)

Cheers

8. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I have a strange problem when running Ghostwall v1.150 on a limited user account. After logging in, I get a message stating that a driver could not be loaded, and as a consequence, Ghostwall will not be able to protect me. The tray icon loads up, and opening a network session (ie browser) I see the counters process trafic?

WinXP SP2 Pro EN fully updated
    KAV 5.0.388
    1 Admin account
    1 Limited user account

9. hatrix

hatrix Guest

i have the exact same problem - i'd like to protect a non-administrator with ghostwall but get the annoying popup. is there a way to suppress the message?

and does the firewall function correctly in such a case?

- great app btw!

10. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

yepp, i've experienced this too. I have to be logged in as Administrator in order to use ghostwall.

11. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Hi SSK,

If you can see packet information, then the FIREWALL should be protecting your system. The message would come about due to not being able to install the driver, however since the driver was already active it didn't matter in this case. I'll look into removing this message on limited user accounts in the next version.

One thing to look out for is when running multiple versions of the GUI (using fast user switching) that the STATS might not update in the correct fashion. Though clicking on individual items to see the LOG HISTORY will still work correctly.

12. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Thnx Jason! :)

13. beanzo

beanzo Guest

Can you set it up to alert you of any connection incoming or outgoing? I used to use Kerio personal firewall but after the switch to xp64 this (and many other things) will no longer work. Thanks.

14. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I hope that the next version of GhostWall will be integrated into the Windows XP Security Center... so that everytime I starts my pc it will not ask me to turn on my Firewall. :cool:

15. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

you can turn that feature off through the configuration panel of this so called Security Center.

16. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

Yeah, I think anybody who comes here on a regular basis would be aware enough about security not to need that feature. I turned it off as soon as I installed SP2.

17. useless

useless Registered Member

Commonly reffered to as a female Karma smiles on the makers of free security and system tools those cheaters make their wares for 'free' right? Thank you for attempting to restore the balance! A question the IP block button says not implemented? Is this my option to enable somehow through an ini or is that just a preview of greatness to come?

18. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

A preview of great things to come.:eek:

19. datars

datars Registered Member

It would be nice to see a manual on this firewall

20. Comit

Comit Registered Member

Ghost's exactly what I been looking for - a lightweight winner, good job :D

So what's the IP blocklist gonna be? Sounds interesting. Wondering if I could merge GW and peerguardian into 1 using that ;)

21. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I am currently looking towards a fresh install of XP on my computer I have a hardware router NAT + SPI firewall and currently run Outpost Pro alongside the router bascially just for my application controls.

Still trying to decide on certain aspects of my security software installs and wondered if Ghostwall would be adequate for me to install (using less resources) given I will have my router firewall running. I am totally unsure as I have always used a software firewall but feel there is more being added to these firewalls which are adding to the resources used when I may be as safe with Ghostwall.

I am worried about having nothing but my router which is why I am asking before any decisions are made.
    I do have browser protection plus AV/AT/spyware etc it is just the need for another firewall when I have my router.
    I just wish firewall vendors would keep the resource usage low without all the addins we have now o_O

Outpost is working for me without problem although I did not upgrade to the new version as I felt it had too many things added now :doubt:

Edit: I still need Outpost for outbond applications on my computer

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  22. rexster

rexster Registered Member

feature request:
    input multiple port range. for example, i want to block port 100-200,300,400-500, 1000-2000 in one single rule
    or only allow port 80,443,110,25,53,...

so that we dont need to create a dozen rule to allow/block a dozen ports...

tia
    rex

23. BiffStroganoffsky

BiffStroganoffsky Registered Member

In the same vein as the request above, a 'whitelist' instead of having to 'blacklist' a mountain of numbers. I tried moving 'block all' to the top of the list and then adding allows beneath but that didn't seem to work. I'll read the help again but it seems that the 'block all' feature precludes 'whitelist' exemptions.

:doubt:

24. JUNGLEROT

JUNGLEROT Registered Member

I just wanted to say thank you for developing a great firewall that works well on the 64 bit systems and is so light on the resources. I'm sure there is still work to be done and I really like most of the ideas I am seeing here for future versions. Keep up the good work and ideas.

25. Plan-1130

Plan-1130 Registered Member

Well, i'm about to change to GhostWall, but i had a question.
    Is it capable of protecting me against certain attacks, like DDoS, portscanning etc. like Sygate Firewall could? Since Sygate Firewall was bought by Symantec i no longer trust it that much anymore, i never trusted Norton Firewall either.
    If not, does anyone know a (preferably free) other firewall that can? Or maybe i should stick with Syate?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.