Ghostsurf problems with incomplete pages

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by BearlyRich, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BearlyRich

BearlyRich Registered Member

Anyone out there use Ghostsurf Platinum 2006 and have problems with incomplete web page loads or file transfers?

At least 50% of the time, I have to hit reload to get a complete web page.
    File downloads fail 75% of the time.

The only way I can guarantee full transfers is to either bypass Ghostsurf or add the site to the Special Sites list and leave all the checkboxes open to effectively bypass Ghostsurf for that site.

I'm running Windows XP Pro media edition with all available update. Usually use Firefox 1.50.5. But the incomplete transfers happen with any software if it goes through Ghostsurf. That includes Internet Explorer, Pubcatcher (pod casts), etc.

I do run PCCillin 12 (from Dell) as a firewall and through a Linksys WRT54G router and am wireless on a Dell 6000 laptop. I don't see the hardware or much else at fault as everything works perfectly if I disable or bypass Ghostsurf...

I'm just hoping there's some timeout setting in the registry or some other magic fix?

I have wasted a week trying to go through Tenebril's tech support, but what a total waste of time. Looks like they out-sourced to india with folks that not only have no clue as to the software operation buy can't even bother to read what the problem is...

Anyone with a clue, I would appreciate some ideas.

Thanks...
    Rich...

2. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

GhostSurf is a nasty product IMO. Very buggy, bad page loads, LONG page loads, and what I found to be poor support.

I ended up having to format because of a bad install, and when I couldn't get a refund, I just charged back my credit card. Tenebril.. :thumbd:

3. BearlyRich

I wish there was more info out on the net about Ghostsurf and Tenebril... I did search a bit before and a whole lot after and there's very little out there. Of course they don't run a forum o_O Not even from India!

Unfortunately, I jumped on an offer through V-Com (who I like) and bought it.

Have to admit that it works nice, when it works. But yes, it does have a lot of problems, especially on a laptop with suspend or hybernate.

Too bad, with some real support, from the company and not out-sourced from India, this would be a nice product...

4. turqb1

turqb1 Registered Member

Ditto - Problems as stated

I am using a new HP Presario with WinXPSP2 media - upgreded per Microsoft

I have a dedicated high speed cable modem - using IE6 and Netscape 8

Problems with pages loading more and more slowly as session continues until they may as well stop

Sometimes when a page dosen't load the "Refresh" will load it or if I drop to anonomous level load the site and then go back to secure encrypted it will work for a time

Then is slows to a stop again

Spycatched which comes with GhostSurf Platinum will sometimes get into a mode wher the Windows Task Managers shows its process consuming 99% of the CPU time for long periods - don't know why it does this but the only way to stop it is to force process shutdown - Windows cannot close the application and alll other applications bog down to nothing while Spycatcher is doing WHAT? I can't tell -

Wish I had seen your thread before purchase - I also bought due to ad from VCOM

5. BearlyRich

I wish more people would see such posts, and more people would make such posts as it would have saved me the money also. Sorry to hear they got you too...

I've been comepletely around the block with their "support". Absolutely worthless unless you can't figure out how to install it. All stock boiler-plate answers from some company in India and there's no way to directly contact anyone at tenebril at all. If you use their form to rate how the support question was handled, you just wind up with another boiler-plate answer from India. What a waste fo time and frustrating!

After all this time trying to use ghostsurf, I've finally come to the conslusion that there is nothing wrong with my system or even with ghostsurf the program. The whole problem is with the tenebril servers that ghostsurf goes through to be anonymous. That's where the timeouts and lost date happens and there's nothing a user can do about it.

Ghostsurf also doesn't work well with a system that uses Standby or Hybernation such as a laptop. Everytime I wake up my laptop, I have to manually shut down ghostsurf and restart it several times before it will work again. I've narrowed this problem down to a bug in the microsoft foundation class (MFC) they use in compiling GS. It may be a MS bug but it's up to tenebril to work around it. Of corse there's no way to talk to anyone at tenebril, so GS is what it is. A nice idea that sometimes works and may or may not be worth all the aggrevation?

Spycatcher is similar. I liked it but it conflicted with many other peices of software. I also had the problem of 100% CPU usage and having to reboot to get out of it. I finally gave up on it altogether...

Thanks a lot V-com!

6. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I agree 100%. I did the same thing. I will never put any of their products on my computer again.

There is a program called Anonymizer I wanted to try out.

I hope you folks find a good replacement. Good luck!

Rilla927

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.