Ghost BSD

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by AutoCascade, Jan 24, 2015.

1. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

Better than most Linux distros as far as ease of install goes and it has a nice Mate interface. Smooth and fast unlike PC-BSD which was clunky and buggy.

Comes with quite a bit of software installed but to get Chromium working I was told I had to make a change to a system folder. I was impressed up til then.

So much for the 24,000 software titles available.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I've also just looked at GhostBSD. My glitch was installing VirtualBox guest additions :(

But otherwise, I was very favorably impressed.

3. AutoCascade

I was unable to edit sysctl.conf as su maybe I needed to sudo su? A user gave me an answer pretty quickly I just didn't have sufficient permissions to edit the folder.

Firefox was version 31 and LastPass won't install on it at all says not compatible. Chromium if I can get it to work is version 39+

I'm a gluten for punishment I'm going to try it again.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  4. mirimir

Ah. You need root rights to edit anything outside of /home/user. Also, I don't recall that sudo is installed by default, so you just use su.

5. AutoCascade

I was able to edit the file there was a command missing.

Then the package manager was able to download the needed files to make Chromium work but after that I couldn't reboot or shut down so I had to power down and then I couldn't boot on anything. I had to unplug the computer for a few minutes and I was able to boot into a Mint DVD.

I may try it again as a partition with Mint. Even at this point I think its worth the trouble.

6. mirimir

Playing in a VM would be safer :)

7. AutoCascade

Another user had the same issue so it wasn't something I did. Which makes me feel better. They were saying that 'ports' is messed up.

You're right I need to try it through a VM.

8. mirimir

In my limited experience, FreeBSD doesn't handle dependencies as well as most Linux distros do, especially the Debian family, which I know best. That's so even in FreeBSD 10, which uses a new package management system, and it's also the case using ports. I've ended up creating "/usr/ports/packages" and doing "make package-recursive" in the ports folder of interest. Then I go to "/usr/ports/packages/All" and do "pkg install *". And finally, I create "/usr/ports/packages/Installed" , and then do "mv * /usr/ports/packages/Installed/". Maybe that's overkill, but it seems to work.

9. krustytheclown2

krustytheclown2 Registered Member

Does the packaging tool in FreeBSD verify GPG signatures of downloaded packages, similarly to apt-get and pacman?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.