Gfx card switch

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Detox, Jun 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I've recently replaced my geforce 4 4400ti with an ATI 9600, and have put my Geforce into my wifes Thinkcentre A30. However, when I unplug the monitor cable from the mobo, I get "no input signal" as would be expected. Yet, when I plug into the gfx card, I get a black screen - which means there IS a signal, but I'm getting nothing. Any ideas? I'm attempting now to install the Leadtek Winfox software for the card but it keeps telling me there's no leadtek product.

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Did you put the gforce to replace an older graphics card?

Perhaps reinstall the old one, change resolution and then install the new card. And then change resolution to match the new card possibilities.

How are the bios graph settings?

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

nope; the thinkcentre is using this Intel "Extremegraphics" thing (usues system memory) - and thus at this point the graphics are coming only through the mobo plug it seems. I installed WinFox (came with the card once upon a time) but still nothing but black blankness.. also tried switching to 640*800 or so resolution and switching ther plug, but still got nothing.

Maybe I must do something in the BIOS to make the machine use the AGP graphics instead of the mobo gfx?

oop - edited to make clear - my first post isn't, really - its the ThinkCenter that isn't using the gforce4 properly. My custom machine is running the new ATI card brilliantly.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Detox, You need to visit the BIOS and disable the internal GFX card, your new card should then start in VGA or SVGA mode. Then uninstall the internal cards drivers reboot and run the leadtech drivers/software and all should be well :)

Pilli

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Ah-ha! This I will do today as soon as I am back from class this morning, will update after :D

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Am I being dumb? Never really done much with this XP Home such as my wife's machine has except to secure it with safexp and other things as discussed in my first thread about this PC...

But I just cannot get into BIOS o_O

Pressing delete right as I start the machine is the way to go, yes?

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What machine?

Link:http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.php/id/63

One thing I have found with mine is to delay hitting delete until it boots through the initial bootup.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
  8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

It's an IBM ThinkCentre A30... Dunno if that's a ps2 but I'll try some of the IBM control options, thanks!

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

None of those worked - I found it deep withing the troubleshooting literature on the IBM site - power up and press f1 :rolleyes:

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Bah figured it out - the AGP slot is there, but doesn't function on the ThinkCentre A30. :blink:

Wish I knew that before I bought the things.

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Bad luck!

12. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi, try going to the Device manager > Display adapters > turn off the onboard and switch to the graphics card.

If you do get into the bios, be sure to switch the AGP size if the cards have different amounts of ram.

I had a similar situation, switched from GF4Ti4200 to ATI X800, only prob i have is the ATI software wont auto full screen movies on the TV, have to drag them across an full screen, the Winfast GF4 did it from WinDVD automatically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.