Getting Windows 7 x64 to install as upgrade

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Heres the dillema :doubt: I currently have windows 7 home premium on my HP notebook, but would like to upgrade to windows 7 professional x64, however my x64 disk isnt an upgrade disk, its full retail, and it wont install :doubt: is there anyway that someone knows how to by-pass this problem and to get this disk to install without wiping out the partition first, thus losing all installed programs as was shipped o_O

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Retail disks can perform in place upgrades... but you cannot upgrade from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS and vice-versa.

If you want to maintain all your programs you will have to use Laplink PCmover the only application that can handle 32-bit to 64-bit migrations

Panagiotis

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You didn't say if your current Windows 7 Home Premium install is 32 or 64 bit. If it's 32 bit that would explain the problem since it's not possible to upgrade across bit versions.

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

which is ridiculous on microsofts behalf because they are always mentioning their x64 yet you can upgrade from x32 :doubt: i may as well scratch my ass :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.