Getting Windows 7 x64 to install as upgrade

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Heres the dillema :doubt: I currently have windows 7 home premium on my HP notebook, but would like to upgrade to windows 7 professional x64, however my x64 disk isnt an upgrade disk, its full retail, and it wont install :doubt: is there anyway that someone knows how to by-pass this problem and to get this disk to install without wiping out the partition first, thus losing all installed programs as was shipped o_O

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Retail disks can perform in place upgrades... but you cannot upgrade from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS and vice-versa.

If you want to maintain all your programs you will have to use Laplink PCmover the only application that can handle 32-bit to 64-bit migrations

Panagiotis

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You didn't say if your current Windows 7 Home Premium install is 32 or 64 bit. If it's 32 bit that would explain the problem since it's not possible to upgrade across bit versions.

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

which is ridiculous on microsofts behalf because they are always mentioning their x64 yet you can upgrade from x32 :doubt: i may as well scratch my ass :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.