Getting Rid of ATI, another ShadowProtect Question thread...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Anon00, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anon00

Anon00 Registered Member

Okay, I'm getting tired of ATI, if its not the shell crashes, its the huge incremental updates. Recently, the PITA uninstall just pisses me off.

So, I've been looking at some alternatives, reading this forum and others, skimming the User Guide for SP, and my conclusion is Shadow Protect Desktop looks very interesting. The backup/imaging functions is adequate but I do have a few questions. I'd like to purchase today so any comments, opinions, etc is appreciated.

So here's my questions about SP:
    Does it have the option to boot outside of Windows (ala Acronis Startup Manager) without using the Boot CD?

Does File-Level backup allow ignoring? I like to ignore UserProfile Temp folders.

How does SP integrate into Windows? What services/drivers start-up and run in the background? Does it integrate into the shell (prefer it not to)?

Does it require any Windows' Services (XP Pro) to run?

Does it play nice with Kaspersky? Ie, does iSwift interfere? I'm looking to Image off my drive on one external disk, and doing frequent Incremental backups of just UserData to another external disk.

SP requires activation, but other than that does it phone home?

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, there's a lot of threads to go through, and perhaps this is better suited for StorageCraft's forum, but there seems to be some pretty SP knowledgeable people here.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No. This product is basically designed for enterprise level users. You can image either from with in windows, or the recovery CD and restore from the Recovery CD

There is no File-Level backup. Really there is no need. You can get any files you need from the images. Should you need frequent backups of your data, you can run Continous Incrementals, silently as often as every 15 minutes.

I have two Shadowprotect services running, plus an imagemanager which is because I am using the continous incrementals. It integrates only to the extent you can right click on the image file and do a quick mount. But you don't even have to install it in windows.

Yes VSS, Volume Shadow Service. MS, Hot image service.

I tested Kaspersky stuff with Iswift, and didn't see any issues. You can schedule images to different places(I believe one member has done that), but if your data is part of your main partition, you can't split it out.

Not that I've noticed.

SP is an extremely fast and reliable imaging solution. I've done several hundred restores, and it just works as advertised.

Pete

3. Anon00

Anon00 Registered Member

Hmm no File-level backups, don't know how I missed that.

Peter, do you know if SP ignores the hibernation file/page file?

4. Anon00

Anon00 Registered Member

So I opted for the Full Eval.

Although, File Level backup would be nice, it isn't absolutely necessary, maybe the next version.

I did a full backup, of my Main laptop drive, with 121gigs, High compression and AES128-password protected, to a 5400 2.5" 120GIG USB Fujitsu drive.

Took 2 hours and 16 minutes, and used 105gigs of space.

5. Peter2150

I believe it does.

I wouldn't look for a file-level backup anytime soon. Not sure their primary market would care about that. Beside like I said you can extract files easily.

6. Anon00

Anon00 Registered Member

Yeah its not a big deal, its only affects me since my 2.5" external drive is only 120gigs and my notebook drive is 200gigs. I like having the option of multiple backup sources and file-level backup would allow me to choose just the data I need.

I'm going to try continuous incrementals on my external 3.5" 250gig drive. I'm assuming SP isn't going to freak out if the destination drive isn't connected right?

7. Peter2150

You want it connected during the time you specify for the incrementals.

8. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

For the file-level backup of the data you need,just use a dedicated data backup app.

Karens Replicator can be recommended

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yeesh,Karen Replicator,rocky solid,but if he likes to do continuous userdata backups,incrementely or otherwise,he would be better off which such as SyncBack, BTW KR can't hot imaging. :)

10. Anon00

Anon00 Registered Member

I think I'll just use my bigger drive to do Full + Incrementals with SP on a Monthly schedule and use my smaller drive to do SP On Demand Backups.

Or I could get TrueCrypt, encrypt my smaller External drive and use SyncToy to do file level backups

11. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Just tried it on your recommendation,but like all the others,gives errors on copying URLs-148 not serious and 4 serious.

Maybe KR does the same, but at least it doesnt tell you about it:)

12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Maybe is KR smarter to hide FP's lol :D

Honest i tried SyncBack some yaers ago,did'nt like it,but why i don't remember this anymore.
    But of the many positive reviews i dropped the name of it,more intentially to meant the principle behind it,which is different as compared with KR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.