Getting proxomitron or privoxy to work

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fly, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

For my Windows 7 (64 bit Pro) computer I'm looking for something like that.
    Perhaps also for this Windows XP (Home Edition) system.

I don't like Windows 7 inherent privacy vulnerabilities and for that reason I don't like to connect it to a network. Aside from the issue that every time you hook up a computer to the internet there are privacy/security issues.
    The Windows 7 system has never been used for regular browsing, but when my old system dies I may have to.

For the Windows 7 system I also don't want to bother with an antivirus.

Anyway, I have looked at both proxomitron and privoxy. Both may suit my needs, but for as far as I know they are no longer supported/being worked on.
    For privoxy the last date seems to be 2010, and it doesn't mention support for Windows 7. Proxomitron has been discontinued a long time ago, and sidki's last filterset is dated 2010. Sidki also discontinued working on proxomitron.

I'm not sure if either could work on Windows 7 64 bit professional.
    I'm not a geek either, so complicated programming is just not an option.
    It would be very nice if I had something that could filter Windows 7 over all layers of the network stack (controlling all data flowing between my computer and the internet, including the Microsoft data).

Can I get some feedback, please ?

If it's too out-of-date I can't use it, or can I ?

Is it doable, or are there other options ?

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

found over here:
    http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.privoxy.user

And, Privoxy is still being "developed".

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thank you, I'll look into it.

What about proxomitron ? Is it 'out of date' ? I can't do advanced programming.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

2. You don't need "advanced programming". RTFM and a little knowledge of regular expressions is enough.

1. I think Proxomitron is not being developed although one does hear about updated "lists". I prefer to make up my own as I go.

0. I don't know whether Privoxy or Proxomitron were designed to make AV protection redundant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.