Getting proxomitron or privoxy to work

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fly, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

For my Windows 7 (64 bit Pro) computer I'm looking for something like that.
    Perhaps also for this Windows XP (Home Edition) system.

I don't like Windows 7 inherent privacy vulnerabilities and for that reason I don't like to connect it to a network. Aside from the issue that every time you hook up a computer to the internet there are privacy/security issues.
    The Windows 7 system has never been used for regular browsing, but when my old system dies I may have to.

For the Windows 7 system I also don't want to bother with an antivirus.

Anyway, I have looked at both proxomitron and privoxy. Both may suit my needs, but for as far as I know they are no longer supported/being worked on.
    For privoxy the last date seems to be 2010, and it doesn't mention support for Windows 7. Proxomitron has been discontinued a long time ago, and sidki's last filterset is dated 2010. Sidki also discontinued working on proxomitron.

I'm not sure if either could work on Windows 7 64 bit professional.
    I'm not a geek either, so complicated programming is just not an option.
    It would be very nice if I had something that could filter Windows 7 over all layers of the network stack (controlling all data flowing between my computer and the internet, including the Microsoft data).

Can I get some feedback, please ?

If it's too out-of-date I can't use it, or can I ?

Is it doable, or are there other options ?

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

found over here:
    http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.privoxy.user

And, Privoxy is still being "developed".

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thank you, I'll look into it.

What about proxomitron ? Is it 'out of date' ? I can't do advanced programming.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

2. You don't need "advanced programming". RTFM and a little knowledge of regular expressions is enough.

1. I think Proxomitron is not being developed although one does hear about updated "lists". I prefer to make up my own as I go.

0. I don't know whether Privoxy or Proxomitron were designed to make AV protection redundant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.