Getting full backups rather than incremental

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by eelton, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelton

eelton Registered Member

I'm using Acronis True Image Home 11, build 8101. I have a task for incremental backups, with a full backup after 4 incremental backups. However, it does a full backup every time.

I've read that this can result from defragmenting, but I don't think that's the problem, as it's the same with defragmenting turned off. Also, in the log, it always says "create full backup archive." I've checked the task repeatedly, and it's set up for incremental backups, but those never happen.

I should point out that I use the Windows task scheduler to run the task rather than the Acronis scheduler, as I don't use a Windows password (the Acronis scheduler requires one to function).

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It's making a full the first time (normal) and then on the 2nd and following backups? Are you backing up to a Backup Location with limits set that perhaps are being reached (so that incs are being consolidated into the full)?

Have tyo tried recreating the tasks (and Backu Locatins if you use them) and see if that helps?

3. eelton

eelton Registered Member

It's not just the first time through that it does a full backup. I'm using a backup location which is set to 75 GB. Each full backup is running about 13 GB; there are currently 5 full backups there.

By the way, I'm running ATI on two computers, both producing the same behavior. (And both are running the task via the Windows task scheduler.) I have edited the tasks to change from incremental to differential and back again, but it always keeps doing full backups.

My guess would be that this relates to not using ATI's scheduler, but instead the Windows one. However, I haven't seen any other posts about such an issue.

4. Mysticfeat

Mysticfeat Registered Member

I too am having problems with incremental backups. I am using the same version of True Image with Vista and am relatively new to this program and backing up in general. I bought this ~ 1 month ago and set up with what I thought were incremental backups. My 500GB hard drive filled up in 1 month producing the "disk full" error.

I started all over and did a full image backup which amounted to 159 gb compressed. I scheduled an incremental backup (for every 7 days) using Acronis' Task scheduler about 8 hours later. It made a immediate "incremental backup" consisting of 12 gb compressed. Although it does not appear to be a full backup, I know for a fact that I have not added that amount of data to my hard drives in 8 hours (in fact I was gone for most of the day). At this rate my hard drive will again fill up in no time...and of course once filled, will give me "disk is full" error. I am not one to fill my hard drives with much data per week...a few photos, some updates on downloaded podcasts and a scattering of business correspondance here and there...but not Gigabites per week (and that was 12 gb compressed!).

I have more questions, but I will post them separatedly...

thanks

5. littlefox

littlefox Registered Member

The same is happening to me. I've tried deleting the task and creating new ones with different options but nothing seems to work. I test the new task by adding a new file with a few characters and still end up with a 300MB incremental. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

If you use a backup location, then TI 11 tends to operate the full/inc/consolidate correctly.

A way to get what you want is as follows.

Make a FULL task - give the file a name. Schedule this to run once a week or whatever period you require.

Make an INC task using the same file name as the FULL. Schedule this to run 4 times within whatever period you have chosen the FULL to run.

This will cause the FULL to run, followed by 4 INC's, and then the original FULL will be overwritten, followed by the overwriting of the INCS and so on and so forth.

Note this setup no longer works in TI 2009.

Colin

7. littlefox

littlefox Registered Member

Thanks for the reply bodgy. But the problem isn't the fact that TI 11 is doing full backups instead of incrementals, it's the fact that the incremental backup size is 300MB when the actual incremental change (the change to files on the hard drive) is only 1KB.

In any case I think the problem is in the file system. The data partition I am backing up is FAT32.

I tried the same procedure on my NTFS formated C:\ drive and got the expected 1K incremental file.

Is this limitation documented?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.