getting browser windows size without javascript

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by katio, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katio

katio Guest

http://what-is-my-ip-address.anonymous-proxy-servers.net/
    It's standard stuff except the "Browser window" part, see the source for how it works.

My first impression was this is just FUD, how are they going to read out the value? But though I don't know how it's done there certainly is a way to do it (e.g. form submission) or does the site already send it back and I'm missing it?

So yeah, this is bad. I can get very common fingerprint with ease but with this one I'm lost. Any ideas?

Sure we can all maximize our browser, not add or remove any toolbars, sidebars and use the same taskbar height. A bit inconvenient and not that easy for people not running say Chrome on Windows.

2. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

My primary concern re browser fingerprinting is the possibility of linking my true and pseudonymous identities. I address that, and other such concerns, by using a different VM and VPN account for each pseudonymous identity.

Although observers can determine which websites I've visited as hierophant using this VM, that doesn't concern me. If I want to avoid that, I can easily create another VM, and delete it when I'm done.

Am I missing something?

3. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

CSS Media Queries

4. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

It is a bit of FUD, because the test detects if the HTTP headers that your browser is sending are different from some default values the test considers to be "the best". This has little relevance if you are not using JonDoNym service, because the values are the recommended ones for THEIR service, not for a normal navigation (i.e. 2 JonDoNym users should, in theory, have the same headers, so that a web service can't tell who's who).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.