Getting a Router. What to set up?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by muf, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

Hi all,

I've ordered a router. Don't know much about them but I know it is NAT and has a firewall(these may be one and the same as far as I know).

Ok, at the moment I use DSL/Cable modem plugged direct into my pc. I know that I need to connect this between the DSL/Cable modem and PC. One thing I was wondering is that I read on forums people saying they connected a router and they failed to get stealth at ShieldsUP and other such places. I've seen mention of 'port forwarding' or 'forwarding' my IP address or something. What I'm looking for are a few basic tips on what to expect as I don't expect to connect it up and plug it in and it works and nothing needs tweaking. Will I need to go into the routers settings and enter details of my IP address?

As you can see, i'm a novice at this and looking for a bit of advise so that I don't connect up find I can't connect to the net and go into a state of panic.

muf

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

What kind of router is it?

Usually, routers are pretty plug'n'play actually. If your internet connection is DHCP, then the router will work right away. However, if it is PPPoE(if you have a user name and a password), then you will have to input this into the router. Also, if it is wireless, you will need to configure that to be encrypted, or turn it off if you aren't using it.

In terms of forwarding ports, this is needed for playing some games if you are acting as a server and hosting the game. Also, it is needed for IM chat sometimes and other things. What you do is go to the website of the game or application you use, and search for the ports it says to forward. You then go to the port forwarding page on your router, enter in the ports, enter in the IP address the router has given you (type in ipconfig on the command prompt to get this info), then it will work.

Hopefully this can get you started

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

3. muf

muf Registered Member

Thanks for the response. It's a Linksys Etherfast BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router. It is not wireless. I'm not sure about the DHCP/PPPoE thing. I remember that when I first connected my pc to the cable settop box I had to go into a startpage in IE and enter a user name and pin number and then a name for my pc. That was it. Since then whenever I switch on my pc i'm connected. No having to log in or such.

Does that help?

muf

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Some of the newer cable/DSL modems have a basic one port NAT router built in.
    If that is the case, you may have to configure the modem (after the router is set up and secured) to bridge mode so all connections are passed directly to the router.

You should configure the router if only to change the admin password and disable any remote WAN side management options.

5. Devinco

All cable and DSL providers offer DHCP to assign you an IP address automatically.
    Usually, PPPoE is with DSL.
    No separate cable modem? That is unusual for the set top to include a cable modem. You connect your computer ethernet cable directly to the same cable tv box that hooks up to your TV?

6. muf

muf Registered Member

Yes, Apparently the cable modem is inside the set top box. I connect via a RJ45 cable in a port at the back of the set top box titled "Ethernet".

muf

7. Devinco

First thing I would do is find out if the cable modem has a configuration page and what modes and settings it has.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I have : cable TV - modem - router - computer.
    My router has quite a long daily log (32 pages), much longer than my LnS Log. So it seems to do something more than increasing my electricity bill.

9. muf

muf Registered Member

Hi again,

Got my Router. Seemed easy to set up as i'm here now typing this on the pc it's connected too! Any ways, i was hoping for a little assistance with a niggle i have with it. I can't get the Routers setup screen to display in both Internet Explorer 6 and Firefox. I find that if i close down my firewall then it displays fine. I've looked in the log file of my firewall and can see no reference to what it is blocking(or not allowing). I'm using KIS6. Is there a privilege i need to set up in KIS6 i.e allow loopback or some local ip or such. any clues?

Is not a major problem as i can turn KIS6 off to access it, but it's not an ideal situation really.

Thanks again,
    muf

10. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Clear out your firewall log, then try to go to your router's webpage. If it doesn't work, post the log here, then we can figure out what is happening.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

11. muf

muf Registered Member

That appears more difficult than you may think. I can not find any logging in KIS6 telling me things like what was allowed and what was denied. I'm sure it should have one. I'll post over at the Kaspersky forum and ask there.

muf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.