Get process Image file could not be located

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Cannybody%*, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cannybody%*

Cannybody%* Registered Member

The full message I receive on startup is "Get process Image File Name W could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL"
    I found info on the DLL in this forum and downloded Chktrust.exe file and ran the tool to remove this trojan? It didn't find it on my computer so doesn't appear to be the problem.
    Does anyone know why I have started to receive this message?
    I have zone alarm pro.Eset Nod 32,Windows defender,Ad Aware,Spybot,Spywareblaster.I use Crap Cleaner and Windows reg repair pro and also run asquared from time to time.Non of the security programmes are finding anything at this time.
    Cannybody%*

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Cannybody%*,

Would you by chance be running the new Internet Explorer7/Beta2?
    Is PSAPI.DLL present in your system32 folder?

GF

3. Cannybody%*

Yes I am running Inernet Explorer 7\Beta2

A search shows PSAPI.DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32 dated 31/03/2003.

Is it Internet Explorer 7 which is the culprit and if so how do I sort it?Should I remove Internet Explorer 7 or is there some other solution?

Thanks for your help.
    Cannybody%*:blink:

4. GlobalForce

Cannybody%*,

Patience please, one thing at a time. :D

Is your service provider maybe Verizon with SmartBridge installed (c:\program files\verizon ...\smart ...)?

Next, would you please make sure your system is set to show all file's, then search your entire drive for all copies of PSAPI.DLL.
    Post me which if any additional program folder's it's listed in (you may have to fine tune search preferences).

GF

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  5. Cannybody%*

Many thanks for your help.
    My service provider is BT.Yahoo and I don't know whether they install smart bridge.
    I have done the search with the following results:-
    pasapi.dll C\Windows\$Nt Service Pack 17kb Application Extension 03/31/2003
    Wrap SAP.dll C:\Windows\Speech 53kb Application Extension 01/12/1999
    dhcpsapi.dll C:\Windows\System32 73kb Application Extension 03/31/2003
    psapi.dll C:\Windows\System32 23kb Application Extension 08/04/2004
    psapi.dll C:\Windows\Service Pack Files 23kb Application Extension 08/04/2004
    psapi.dll C:\Program Files\a2 Free 29kb Application Extension 10/28/2003
    psapi.dll C:\Program Files\Broadband Des 18kb Application Extension 06/22/2005.
    psapi.dll C:program Files\Motive Common\ 18kbApplication Extension 06/22/2005.
    psapi.dll C:\Program files\Broadband Des\18kb Application Extension06/22/2005
    I carried out a full search including hidden files etc.
    Hope this helps and look forward to your reply.Please remember that I am a relative novice.
    Cannybody%*:eek:

6. Cannybody%*

To add to my previous reply I have now checked and Smart Bridge .wse.exe is installed with the bt computer help.
    Hope this helps also smart bridge is mentioned in the heading of the message I receive about File name W could not be found in th dynamic link library.It actually states Smart bridge alert.
    Thanks again
    Cannybody%*

7. GlobalForce

You need to clarify the exact filename. Is it smartbridgewse.exe, or one that follow's ....

• c:\program files\bt yahoo! help\smartbridge\motivesb.exe

• c:\program files\bt yahoo! help\smartbridge\bthelpnotifier.exe
    .... or different still? If you would, please include the operating system.

GF

8. Cannybody%*

OK.I have searched allfolders on local hard drive.
    Hidden files and system files and none of the files you mention are there.
    The name of the file is I understand Smartbridgewse.exe though.
    I did un -install BT Broadband Help and re installed it today.
    Following this BT Wireless Connection Manager appeared as a new programme on my programme list.
    When I look at Manage Network Hardware it gives the nessage "No network card detected"I do not run wireless connection and do not have a network as my computer is the only one for my sole use.
    I have Windows Home XP with system pack 2
    Is it possible that I may have downloaded an inapropriate update from Windows?
    Aha checked and Microsoft.NetFramework 2.0:86(KB829019) was downloaded on 21st May.Could this be the problem?
    Really value your help on this as don't have the experience in depth and expertise to work this out un -aided.
    Cannybody%*

9. GlobalForce

Cannybody%*,

Searching for a definitive solution was less than productive, so we'll see if we can't come up with our own work-around. Download this small but informative console utility, ListDLLs. Instruction's for what to do with it are in the "title" of my cmd window attachment below.

If you leave your connection on I would suggest to copy/paste this info into notepad and save it to your desktop for later reference. Offline, with your connect turned off is where you'll have to do a little detective work on your own. Your goal .... to determine which file in particular is loading psapi.dll, we're dealing with a possible version mismatch.

I am happy to see you figured the additional info we needed to help isolate the issue - ".... smart bridge is mentioned in the heading of the message I receive about ....", though my searching has uncovered nothing on Smartbridgewse.exe. We'll bypass this detail for the moment, and return our focus back on finding which executable has our file loaded. Taskmanager's your friend here (rt clk taskbar). Open it and goto the process tab. If there's no PID tab, goto view > select columns > check PID, OK.

I had a chance to find out Yahoo's a big fan of startup item's ~ snicker ~ adding all sort's of goodies :cautious: (actually, I knew this). You can find this out for yourself sometime whether or not they're justified to be part of the boot cycle.

Obviously, because this message eminate's at boot we can without question say our boy's running. Quick way to find out, type: cmd into a runbox. Here's where ListDLLs come's into play. Load the prompt as follows to expose our list of culprit's ....

listdlls -r -d psapi.dll > enter.

In the list that generates .... don't concern yourself with item's from the Window's folder, instead add the executable's from program files to these direction's you saved in notepad. Note if they're accessing the one inside system32, or their own folder's version. This is referred to as the "working directory." Possible suspect's should be the one's accessing "their own folder." If you like or scrolling the command window become's a hassle you can output the result's to a text file for full viewing or upload by configuring the line like so ....

listdlls -r -d psapi.dll >c:\psapi_dump.txt ~ find it in c:\ ~ ;)

When you have your target's, it's time for selective startup!

From a runbox type: msconfig > enter. This opens the System Configuration Utility. Goto the start tab. Here, more than likely are several of your suspect's listed to start at boot-time. The key here becomes trial and error. What you want to do is uncheck one suspect at a time, with reboot's in between. Accomplish this by unchecking one suspect startup item > clk apply, then close. Windows will ask to restart. Select "exit without restart." Manually close-out any running application's (inside Taskmanager's application tab you find these). Reboot. No error, "Bingo!"

What happen's after this is also a bit of trial and error. If you determine x.exe to be the culprit, loading it's OWN version of psapi.dll .... goto it's folder and disable it by renaming it (psapi.old extension is common, make a copy to another folder in case). Loaded under normal boot you may not have this option.

Finally, test it by returning to msconfig's "general" tab > select "normal startup" > apply > close, then same deal as last time .... exit without restart, manually close running app's, then reboot. If upon reboot your application cannot work with the psapi.dll version inside the windows directory, or doesn't find it (load), your choices become .... remove IE7, or uninstall BT Broadband Desktop Help till the parties involved get their act together. I'll note from user comment's about this program concern's ran high as to exactly how useful it actually is/was. Losing it altogether, not an issue.

Should renaming not work and you choose to remove BT's Desktop Help .... go back to unticking that entry for boot in msconfig, reboot, then rename psapi.old back to psapi.dll. Reset msconfig one more time, and reboot again. Uninstall from add/remove after this last one.

If in the event smartbridgewse.exe is either a virus or trojan, other invited guest's may be onboard. Time will tell.

~ Oh and don't ask about relocated bases, I am much as yourself .... a "relative" novice ~ :D;)

GF

Attached Files:

10. Cannybody%*

Thanks am working on it and will reply fully when progress made.
    Cannybody%*

11. Cannybody%*

OK have been trying to work around this on my own before I received your reply.
    I again removed BT Help and this time didn't immediately re install but re booted the computer.The message "smart bridge alert" did not appear.Thus it is definitely associated with the BT HELP software.
    Re installed BT help and re booted and the message re appeared.
    On the bt wireless connection manager which came with BT Help got the message "No Network Card Detected".
    I don't have a wireless router and Network Connectivity is not set up on my PC.
    I don't think I have a WNIC.
    Bt are introducing a number of changes in their service including linked net phone calls and mobiles.They are increasing speeds to 8 and advising the use of wireless ADSL routers to connect to allow future high speed downloads.
    I think that somewhere here are the answers.
    I tried to e-mail BT Help via the buttons provided but got the message script error on page and the message wasn't sent.
    I have now managed to find a BT/Yahoo help site and have succesfully sent them a message requesting information, I will post their reply when received.
    I will hold acting on your advice until further info. arrves from BT in the meantime.
    I really appreciate all your hard work on thi problem and hope that we can solve it since I can't the only one getting frustrated by this Smart Bridge Alert.
    All the best
    Allan Greenwood

12. Cannybody%*

Thanks for private message which is appreciated.
    Generally it seems that there may be a conflict between BT help and IE7 beta 2.
    Allegedly this is dealt with in the latest download of BT help although removing BT help and re installing latest version hasn't worked for me.
    However this set me thinking (again!)I deceided to try from a different angle and looked at Internet Explorer Developer Center:Release Notes for Internet EXplorer 7 Beta 2.

Under Late Breaking Notes and Isuues there is
    Smartbridge --Smartbridge is distributing an old version of PSAPI.DLL.As a result,users may receive the following error message after the installation of Inernet Explorer 7 Beta.The procedure entry point GetProcessImage file could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL.

To work round this error
    Navigate to the installation location for SmartBridge(\Program Files\Verizon...\Smart...)
    Find PSAPII.DLL and rename it to something like PSAPIOLD.DLL
    Re boot the system

There is the suggestion from elswhere that the solution may be to simply remove IE 7 beta 2 and re install it.

I haven't decided which line to take yet as due to other things I don't have a great deal of time.

Interestingley Fred Langa's Newsletter contained a request for people to notify problems after installing IE 7 beta 2.
    Hope that all this is helpfull to anyone with this problem who reads this thread.
    Again many thanks for your invaluable assistance.
    Allan Greenwood

13. GlobalForce

Cannybody%*,

That information is contained in the very first link I supplied. Guess you missed it, ay? Oh well .... :D

GF

14. Cannybody%*

Yes I did go off in the wrong direction for a while.
    The up to date position is that I un installed BT help at their suggestion and re installed.Error message still appeared.
    Uninstalled IE 7 re installed it at their request still received error message.
    Went to Internet explorer Developement Centre and followed their directions to find and re name PSAP.DLL to PSAPIOLD.DLL.and re boot.Message didn't show up.Success? ah no as BT broadband help no longer worked.
    E-mailed BTHelp again and asked if there was a known incompatability.It appears that there is and the suggestion was to un install IE7 and re install IE 6.They are working on the problem to produce a version which will work with IE 7.
    As I like IE7 and after this experience don't have a lot of faith in BTBroadband help I uninstalled BT help and the message no longer appears.For the moment if I need help I will have to un install IE7 and re install BT broadband help.As I haven't needed their help untill this issue arose I think that this is the better solution.
    Again thanks but it seems that we were working on what is at this moment of time an insoluble problem untill the incompatability issue is resolved.
    Maybe this thread will help others as there are sure to be many in the future trying out IE7.
    Allan Greenwood

15. Jerrybo

Jerrybo Registered Member

Hello,

I read the message regarding the PSAPI.DLL problem coming up on startup of the computer. I am currently using SBC as my internet service provider. I took your suggestion and renamed the PSAPI.DLL to PSAPIOLD.DLL and rebooted the computer. Bingo, the error message is gone and all is well with the computer. This error didn't start until I loaded the new Internet Explorer version 7. Thanks for the help.

Jerrybo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.