Get My IP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Seph, Jul 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seph

Seph Registered Member

For Online gaming, i my oppponent is required to enter my IP address to connect to me. However, because i connect with a router, I can't find my real IP address, just 192.168.0.2

Can anyone help?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Try this.

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

3. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Seph, for p2p connection give the IP address of your machine. in that case you can get it from WINIPCONFIG or IPCONFIG. for other cause you can use your Router's IP address. the IP address you are having could be your machine's or the Router's. can't say for sure unless you tell us how you found it. all i can tell you is that the IP address you found out is a Class C address used for private networks. so it rules out the Router's COM port IP.

4. Seph

Seph Registered Member

ipconfig gave me three ip addresses:
    IP Address...........:192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask........:255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway...:192.168.0.1

And from the site suggest by ronjor, i didn't find much that could help apart from an ip on the opening 'warning page' which seems more like my real IP (and as such i won't post it here). However, that hasn't worked yet but i'm still looking

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Seph

Do ipconfig/all in the command option.

6. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I suppose GRC indicates the right public ip address. But since you're behind a router, probably a router with NAT function, your opponent can only see your router. And that doesn't play games very well.
    Your router translates your internal ip address (192.168.x.y) to your public ip address and vice versa. But the vice versa part only works as long as you instruct your router to translate. It's called Port Forwarding.
    You should lookup the port forwarding instructions in the manual of your router and add a rule to allow the game you're playing to pass through your router.

Suppose the game needs port 20000, you'll have to forward incoming requests for port 20000 to your local pc.

7. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Seph, if IPCONFIG gave you this then meneer is right. you're using a private IP and you'll have to configure your Router likewise as meneer suggested.

8. Seph

Seph Registered Member

Thanks guys

The problem is that my game requires me to send my IP to my opponent. I have to physically type out my IP address and give it to them. I'll look through my router manual and see if i can find something on it then.

Seph

9. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

10. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Seph;

I believe what you want to do is have your ISP assign you a fixed IP address for your router. Then you want to disable NAT (Network Address Translation) and use traditional routing on your router. Assign fixed IP addresses as well to your PCs.

But try this;

If you want to see what IP address the world sees you as, go to www.dnsstuff.com. Go to the bottom of the page, and you will see a paragraph that starts like this;

“You appear to be located in UNITED STATES, based on your IP of nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn.”

Your IP address will show up where I put the n’s. That address is not necessarily your IP address. It will more than likely be your routers IP address, or a blind proxy server that your ISP is using.

To confirm this, go into your routers configuration and see what IP address your ISP has assigned your router. See if that matches the DNSstuff report. If not, then your ISP has a blind proxy server that is hiding you from the world. This is not a proxy server that you would find in your proxy settings either.

Use DNSstuff to ping the IP addresses that you have discovered. One of those IP addresses might get your friend through to you, but I doubt it.

Please follow up; I am curious as to what you find.

Close Hauled

11. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Seph;

One other question; are you using DSL, or cable?

Try connecting your DSL/cable modem directly to your PC, bypassing the router altogether. Then enable your XP’s software firewall (I am assuming you have XP). Then run the tests that I mentioned above. Don’t do this without a software firewall running!

Also, the 192.168 subnet is non-routable. So your friends won't see that. There is no changing it with a NAT router either. See this site for a quick lesson on NAT routers;

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/nat.htm

Close Hauled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.