Geswall

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Nevi, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevi

Nevi Registered Member

I have in awhile used Geswall,without anything else.Only thing I have used,has been a router and Windows firewall to stealth the router.
    Have anyone tried Geswall?It seems its enough just to have a good scanner you can use once every 2-3 weeks just to be safe(but I have a feeling I uninstall them too after some time).I have used Avira free,and MBAM,and they have not found anything yet.
    It seems to be a very effective way to keep malware out of a computer,and not to talk about a very little footprint.No slowdowns at all.
    Have anybody else tried Geswall,and what is your experience with it?Is there some forms of malware it cannot stop?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Registered Member

i would like answers to your questions too, if any current users of Geswall would share their experiences with this software, that would be great.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ive been interested in GesWall lately and was wondering if anyone can link me to like a comparison chart or sorts between GesWall free and paid?

4. arjunned

arjunned Registered Member

Have you seen this? - Link

Cheers.

5. firzen771

thank you, thats what i was looking for, i searched the site but i just could not seem to find it :)

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Have been GeSWall from the start of their existance (my Pro lisence is a gift of Brian, because they initially did also virtualise digital playing rights=solved now)

GeSWall Pro

GeSWall Pro offers primarely policy management protection (like DefenseWall) and some virtualisation features (like Sandboxie) with the redirect option.

It also contains untrusted to go outbound by setting Network to "Confidential"

It uses windows internals, this makes it (on most PC's) the fastest, less CPU cycles eating application in this class. For a knowledgeable user (like Henk of the GeSWall forum) [EDIT] there is no lighter and effective security application to find. Besides it high initial (life time lisence) price, GeSWall has one deficit that its untrusted file control is limited by windows (this case NTFS) internals.

For instance when you unpack an untrusted 7-zip file using the right context menu (unpack here), all files of the untrusted zip-file will be set to trysted. The same happens when you copy a file from one partition to another.

Now do not think that this limitation makes GW an easy to bypass security program. The nice thing about GeSWall Pro that it shows with Icons that a file is untrusted.

Another major benefit is : You can set GeSWall to be absolutely quiet (when you set protection to HIGH, Most applications to AUTO Quarantaine or Always depending on their risk factor, Attack prevention to KILL without user interaction and all Notifications OFF).

Another major benefit is that you can limit and virtualise a specific browser. I had for instance Chrome limited to access only its own folders and registry keys, denied all other acces. Limited all file changes to temp directory and download (with TEMP + Cookies virtualised so it was cleaned after Chrome closure). I mentioned Chrome, but I actually have done this with the IRON portable version (a Chromium clone).

Allthough updates are low on an XP machine there is no lighter protection. They used to have some issues on Vista, also when running LUA.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  7. firzen771

thats some good info on GesWall :thumb:

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

kees thanks for info and one thing lua can be set off cause geswall is stronger than lua:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.