GESwall vs. NoScripts for Firefox browser?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I use noscripts for firefox and, although certainly effective, it is a real pain as I surf the web and visit new sites all the time. I am wondering if I use GESwall for firefox instead of NoScripts if this will essentially provide the same basic protection? Anyone have any idea?

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Do your self a favour, use GeSWall Free and Chrome.

I run Chrome with Read only access to data partition, and only allow data to be written to the download directory of Chrome.

Chrome sandboxes its rendering engine, so effectively this encapsulates all (compare it with the security of noscript with all the the functionality withhout noscript = allow scripts)

GeSWall Free encapsulates Chrome. virtualising all registry access, allowing only data to write to my download director (D:\downloads).

On top off that all files downloaded with Chrome are automaticallu marked untrusted and have limited user rights (plus some extra protection = allowing only normal windows operations, no code injection etc).

You can achieve the same with DefenseWall paid (need to limit chrome in resource protection), it is up to you

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

ive been trying to use chrome, but everytime i try to import bookmarks and settings from fiurefox to it, it gets stuck on importing the search engines, anyone know why?

if i uncheck the import search engines the rest of the import works fine.

4. Kees1958

Firzen,

I had the problem that Chrome did not import Opera bookmarks, so I googled for a favourites convertor. I managed to get all my Opera bookmarks into IE7 and Chrome imported them (Opera ->FF -> IE-> Chrome). I forgot which application (bookmark convertor) it was.

Maybe you can try the same workaround (FF->IE->Chrome)

Cheers

5. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

I'm quoting from the latest release V. 1.8.9.7 changelog,please read:
    "Several improvements in blacklisting mode: even if whitelisting is still the recommended safest mode, you can use Allow scripts globally and still block sites you mark as untrusted. More important, you can still enjoy full Anti-XSS protection or be protected against ClickJacking and JSON hijacking even while you're keeping JavaScript allowed everywhere. "
    So you can browse with "allow all scripts globally" enabled ,still be protected from some threats,and if desired block scripts on sites that you consider potentially dangerous.
    I also wondered if necesarry cos i'm running Firefox untrusted in DW ,but with such great features i can't see why not to use the addon .

6. firzen771

are ther any adblockers like adblock plus in FF for chrome? i like chrome but i hate adds on pages? and btw the problem isnt with bookmarks being imported, its when it gets to importing the search engines that it freezes, the rest of the import like bookmarks, saved passwords and history import fine.

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I was using the SRiron and it is fast and I like it. But had trouble on some sites- the browser would hang or become unresponsive. Can I set Iron to read only? How do I make the settings you suggested Kees?

Thanks all for the information.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

GesWall will be very good choice for that. Solid protection. Only it will not protect against XSS.

9. Kees1958

Arc1965

These are my settings

Set File to Allow for

%HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Cache%
    %HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Cookies%
    %HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\History%
    %HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Local AppData%\Chromium\

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Chromium\
    %PROGRAMFILES%\Iron\Profile

\Device\NamedPipe\chrome

%TEMP%
    %TMP%

%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Download

Set File to Redirect for
    \Device\NamedPipe\lsass
    %USERPROFILE%\My Documents

Set Registry Allow for
    %HKCU%\Software\Google%

Please note that
    %PROGRAMFILES%\Iron\Profile depends on where you install IRON

%USERPROFILE%\My Documents should work, only sometimes language version force you to enter the path (e.g. mine D:\Documents)

%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Download (this should be the download directory within Iron)

I use portable version http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php)

Adblock list
    (copy into adblock.ini in Iron diorectory
    http://www.srware.net/downloads/adblock.ini

Cheers

10. firzen771

Would that adblock disk also work in chrome, is chrome and iron like the same thing?

11. Kees1958

Iron is chromium with the latest Webkit and without Google tracing. Adblock works only in Iron

12. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Firefox + NoScripts works for me. I took a look at GESwall some time ago and I liked the program but could see no need the way I operate.

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

The two are different, and cover different grounds. And even if you allow scripts globally (not advised), ns still covers alot of ground.

To me, there is no substitute. But you can play with other browsers if you like :)

14. Kees1958

Why reduce functionality (no script) when you can have all the functionality with greater security?

Cheers

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

You mean denying scripts globally? That's what i do.
    I only referred the option since the OP mentions some fatigue related to that.

(i hope that sentence is all right..)

16. firzen771

i saw a screenshot of Iron when it showed the about screen and it said no update server or something like that, does that mean Iron wont auto update, u have to download a new installer each new version?

17. Kees1958

Yep samething as with chromium. This German company only updates to new releases (so Chrome V1.xx to V2.xx)

Cheers

18. Kees1958

Just teasing, do what ever you like with scrips

19. firzen771

is Iron faster than chrome or safer (against infection, not privacy) or is the only really diff the increased privacy?

20. Kees1958

At the moment Iron is as fast as Chrome (release 1), but safer, the current relase of chromium also has the new webkit (so is as save as Iron), but is faster and has more features.

I changed Chromium for Iron since Chromium is second major release 2.0xxx of Chrome, only Privacy option is a difference now

Cheers

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmm.... can,t think of any thing except XSS.

22. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I think XSS, Clickjacking, "Automatic Secure Cookie Management", and plugins. Depending on your settings.

Anyway, NS and GeSWall are different and cover different grounds. GW protects the system from compromise, NS does that too in a way, and protects in-browser threats, or something in those lines.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Agreed.

24. firzen771

last question, how will u know wen thers a new version of Iron? will it give u a popup in the browers or a message of some kind to tell u to download the new version? or how?

25. Kees1958

Answer may look stupid, but have a look at their site from time to time. It is my bet that when Chrome changes from R1 to R2, you can expect a Iron update shortly after

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.