GeSWall users here? Having problem with it.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Yanick, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Hey

I set my laptop with GeSWall and im getting this ''error'' System Event Notification Service cannot start. After i set geswall to disabled state ala ''jailed'' mode windows works again.. Laptop is using vista x32 home premium. I can only log in with admin account, cant use LUA at all, that error prevents me from using it. Enyone here has had same kind of problem?

Got latest updates to windows etc. Additional security software im using: pc tools firewall plus, spy shelter premium, panda cloud av (behaviour protection disabled), mamutu.

*Edit*: Is my setup overkill?

Im not even sure if this kind of thread is allowed to be created in the first place, so please move it if it's in wrong place, thanks fellas! :)

2. guest

guest Guest

You don't need mamutu if you already have an HIPS well actually you have two xD (Spyshelter and PC tools firewall)

Anyway is a weird config xD

In my opinion Spyshelter premium is the best HIPS on the market, so install a firewall without HIPS like Comodo firewall (you can deactivate the HIPS permanently after install it) I think you can do the same thing with OA free.

Then I would add some browser protection with trusteer rapport or Prevx safe online free.

And finally if you have the paid version of Panda cloud keep it and activate the behaviour protection, otherwise I would recommend you to try to find another free av more complete like avast.

About geswall I have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
  3. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

It sounds kind of like some of your windows system components are isolated by GW. Its just my opinion so take it for what its worth; but you have too many security programs working. GesWall with a good av should be sufficient. Use different browsers for general internet browsing than what you use for any online financial transactions including checking your bank account. Spyshelter is a great program but pc tool fw is probably unnecessary if you are behind a router. I would uninstall GW, PCT, and SS then reinstall GW first, reboot, and then install SS if you still think more is necessary.

4. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I don't know about Vista but in XP you can go to the following and check to see if that service has been disabled. I imagine it is similar for Vista.
    Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services

5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Mamutu, Spyshelter and Geswall is too much at the same times.

pick one and get done with it.

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Gotta agree, sounds like trouble waiting to happen.

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Its already happening.

@Yanick,
    I think you got too much of everything, that's probably the reason you
    getting errors.
    I would get rid of everything but Panda and GesWall and see if the errors
    stop. Probably Spy shelter and/or Mamutu are interfering with GesWall.

Bo

8. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

i tried a setup with GesWall and Spyshelter alone and I can't boot windows as well :D

9. moontan

moontan Registered Member

what a surprise! :D

all this stuff is sucking the kernel dry. ;)

this is what those kernel suckers look like seen through a tunneling electron microscope:
    -http://www.jrj-socrates.com/Cartoon%20Pics/Misc/Cartoon%20Ads/Raid_Bugs_300c.gif-

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  10. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Thanks for input folks :thumb:
    Yes i can see how my setup might be overkill for that poor kernel :D

Dumped GeSWall :cool:

DefenseWall has taken it's place :thumb: Great app!

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you have the DW HIPS/Personal Firewall version then you can dump all the others as well. Just carry out an occasional on-demand scan with HitmanPro/Malwarebytes and you are all set.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

13. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Aye, ihave DW FW HIPS version. Okay, il try that, thanks :)

14. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I have never tried GeSWall, but some day I would like to give GeSWall Free a try.

I read somewhere that GeSWall leaves a lot of "stuff" behind when you uninstall it. Is that true?

Thanks in Advance.

15. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Try it :) remember that it's just ''basic'' version. There's good comparison chart at their home page. Well, when i uninstalled GeSWall it didnt leave rnything in program files, tho it left couple small bits in registry. Not a big deal, better wait for anathor GeSWall user to pop in here and answer you as i have very limited experience with it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.