geswall question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by madpete, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madpete

madpete Registered Member

hello all. I'm a very safe surfer - i usually visit news and current affairs , history or security forums . i've seen reviews of geswall from remove-malware and another reviewer called languy99 and it seems to block all malicious activity and is apparently idiot ( ie me ! ) proof . if this prog is that good why don't i just use it and stop micro-analysing the maddening and subtle differences between this or that av/hips/firewall etc . am i deluding myself if i think that geswall is enough to protect me ? can it really be so simple ? I would be very interested in your thoughts please . cheers madpete .

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

This might help

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=236331

I ran geswall for a long time and never had anything get through. But, like you, I focus mostly on security, Old West and American Civil War history, and some news sites. I don't mess with the dark side of the web, gaming or similar places.

From my experience, I wouldn't hesitate to use geswall again. I'm just liking my current setup, DefenseWall and Shadow Defender and don't feel the need to add anything else.

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep, it is good, just download the trial verson, it will change to free versions after the trial period.

4. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Geswall is a great program. It has some great security. I personally through everything I had at it and nothing got through. You can also remove any malware traces with ease in Geswall. Also you can block internet access for all isolated applications.

Check out DefenseWall as well.. It is a bit easier to use and you can rollback any damage done. I've use both extensively and love both apps.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i agree with you with this 2 apps,they are excelent applications:thumb:

6. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Sandboxie is another great one. Any of those mentioned makes for solid protection. I might go back to geswall some day. I don't know the current version. I used geswall at least a couple of years ago and, on my 4 yr old desktop with 512 RAM, I noticed a slowdown compared to Sandboxie.

Now I'm curious how it would do on this laptop with 2G RAM. Geswall is a good, solid program. I don't think you can go wrong with it, or the Sandboxie or, if you want to pay, Shadowdefender and Defensewall both of which in my opinion are as bullet proof as you can find right now.

7. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Quote, GesWall works very fine and secure !:)

8. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Registered Member

The main reason i prefer DefenseWall over Geswall is because it can automatically treat "all removeable drives as untrusted".
    Geswall dosent have that feature yet. :blink:

9. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I believe that there is a workaround for it, reported here in Wilders. Try a search.

10. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Registered Member

There is no generic workaround, no one-fix-fits-all;
    it needs the right tweaking depending on the settings pc to pc,
    and its not always easy to configure.

11. arjunned

arjunned Registered Member

GeSWall doesn't work very well with ext. drives.

Link.

Seems to be a bug since v 2.8. You have to manually set the rule everytime you plug in a drive. Hopefully they'll have it sorted out soon.

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Well there are also some differences in the way they protect

Status tracking
    GW:
    When you copy an untrusted file from one partition/disk to another it changes to status trusted.
    When you use 7-zip and open an untrusted archive and extract a file it is still untrusted, when you use the extract here option (to extract all files) they will show up trusted (even when 7-zip is added to the untrusted list).

DW:
    Has total untrusted file control, which always keeps track of untrusted state (no user intervention required).
    DW also has two options in regard to protection (right mouse click a file/program)
    a) the fact that the file/program is trusted or untrusted
    b) the option to allow changes by untrusted sources to this object (file or program)

User interface
    GW:
    Another difference is that GW offeres granular control through the console (sort of mmc snap-in with commands). The console sepreates the trusted from the untrusted world. The condifential option allows a seperation between untrusted resources (when something is confidential other untrusted resources are not allowed to use it, unless explicitly allowed through the console).

DW:
    DW is more directed to less tech savvy users. Everything is more or less working out of the box.
    The granular control and seperation between untrusted resources is seperated from the normal configuration in the the 'Resource Protection' section. When you add a resource in the resource protection at one untrusted process, it is automatically classified as confidential, so other resources can not touch it. By default DW has some rules in the resource protecton section. For instance to protect your Web address book, so untrusted resources can't steal your e-mail addresses of (only outlook express or Mail are allowed to use them).

Although they look a lot like each other and often score the same in intrusion tests, under the hood they are totally different programs.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.