Geswall question with old quote

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Greg S, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Hmm, I guess I don't understand this. I'm trying out Geswall and I like the idea of the extra security this(above) might offer but don't see the point if the apps are running isolated with GW. Also, if the global rule above is used, I notice that the browsers and mail clients won't work without the additional Network allow rule for each individual app, which is expected I know but I've noticed that the Download Managers and P2P programs are not affected by the global confidential rule. Is that to be expected?

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, all programs must be affected by this global rule.

3. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Well I gave GesWall a nice trial and really liked it except one thing, adding/modifying rules for me seemed to render GesWall paralyzed for the current session. If I added/modded one or two rules it worked fine but if I tried more than that, GW seemed to quit working. Maybe it was another security app causing this, don't know for sure. I tried restarting GW service when this would happen but with no joy. I have saved GW.dat file and will give it another try and see what happens this time around since I really would like to make this work.

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

May I ask what else you have/had at the time when this happened?

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I never found such issues. Though i got other issues like custom rules sometimes needed restrat og geswall service or reboot. Some custom rules did not work at all or did not work as expected. It,s not polished enough I agree. Slow development since long.:mad:

I have reported many bugs, requested many features that are yet to be fixed/ implemented. I am not hopefull. But still I think on its default settings, if one sandboxes just his browsers and e-mail with geswall, he is OK to go anywhere on the web without any anxiety.

I am never afraid to surf any site while my browser geswalled infact. It,s a peace of mind indeed.

6. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Real Time Defender, Threatfire, SRP and possibly AppGuard but I'm thinking that I uninstalled AG because I thought AG and GW might conflict. GW was set to trusted with RTD and if I remember correctly, the same with TF.
    This is what I was hoping to do. I'm going to take another snapshot with Eaz-Fix and try again.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

i wil not suggest AG and GW together. They are very similar and might conflict.
    If you want to be sure, try it on a clean snapshot. If ok add RTD and TF one by one.

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

That sounds good to me, aigle! ;)

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sure sandboxes are cool, whether it is geswall, defencewall or sandboxie. :p

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

:thumb: :D

aigle, you never fail to elighten my day, that is why I will always take your word as wisdom.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.