Geswall, Good and Bad

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

aigle, is the developer, Brian i believe, communicating with his user base more consistently (alot more consistently)? i think i know he communicates with you more often than not...? merely curious.

Mike

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have spoken to him quite often, but not about the beta. Kind of leave that to aigle. But the responses to my questions have been quick. I agree though, the time for some information has come. The product is very good, so a little feedback for the future is warranted.

3. simmikie

yep, another clueless developer, who apparently believes that alienating and ignoring the user-base is the key to an expanding business.

Mike

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Lol, sometimes folks just make my day. Clueless, I dont think so. But you are entitled to your viewpoint.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

oh, one last thought. There are developers who are completly finacially secure from their dealings in the past. So, as unthinkable as it might be, sometimes products are created for other reasons then just turning a profit.

6. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

GesWall Free + Threatfire Free + AntiVir Free = Best darn security money can't buy!

IceCube

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t think it,s a matter of being clueless. There must be other reasons like not enough resources, time, staff etc. I don,t know really but sure vendors can,t be so clueless unless they are earning a lot already and don,t care.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Actually I am using GW since long and reporting so many issues & giving suggestions etc. It,s rare that I don,t get a reply. Ok, let me ask him about the new version with a new engine. :)

9. simmikie

in business it's not enough to build a better mouse trap. high touch must accompany the high tech to cultivate, and retain a customer base. i recall before 2.7 was released the developer went incommunicado, i believe there is a thread here expressing user/prospective user angst. you just acan't do that, it's business suicide. so if this guy is falling on hard times, it's by his own hand. i don't wish this guy any ill, i'd like to see Geswall succeed, but stonewalling users will not help. aigle, geswalls most ardent, commited, Geswall user, himself has stated that Geswall development is slow, and there is speculation that the resources of time and money could be the cause.

Geswall, a niche product to begin with, needs all of the PR, and support it can get. buzz about the product must be maintained, and new buzz created to maintain interest and user involvement. this does not even rise to the level of business 101, it's common sense. someone can be brillant with binary, and stupid with people, but people build empires, not binary, and to not get that so obvious fact makes you clueless in my book. get it?

Mike

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

No, I dont get it. You see, I am what they call, "Just plain stupid." lol

11. simmikie

being able to write code, does not automatically entitle one to the 'brass ring'. success comes to those who not only master the things they do well, but to those that master what they don't do well or are uncomfortable with. a niche product like Geswall needs to engage the end-user on a consistent and deep level to grow. failure to recognize this is,well, less than business savy. would you not agree?

Mike

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

GW was a small company, with a developer (also russian I believe who lives in Luxembourg when I am right) and a sales/customer/webmarketing contact (Brian). It looks like Brian is only working part time on this/his company, due to the lack of business. When he is working full time, that would mean that GW generates a lot more questions than DW (because Ilya only operates a one man band). I do not think that GW is so much more difficult to use than DW, so only logical explanation is that Brian also does other work.

It is not about 'big-headed-ness' that they have reduced communication, just lack of time. Brian was in the early days as eager as Ilya to provide hands-on assistance.

A life-time license construction is not a healthy business model for a niche market product. As Bellgamin stated in another post, it is often a company life time license. For some growing/large potential markets (e.g. upcoming Chinese market with 1,3 milliard people living there or 1.3 billion in US terminology) it is a possible business model.

E.g. AVG is 80 million users world wide = 6% of 1.3 billion (US)/milliard (European) Chinese population

@Aigle and Trjam
    Does GW still change the trusted status when you move a file from one partition to another?

Regards

13. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Yes Kees it does. Moving the file around on the same partition leaves the status intact. But moving it to another drive will reset the status. This is with GeSWall 2.7.1 (free) Maybe the Pro version is different.

IceCube

14. iphone

iphone Registered Member

No, this is the same with the pro version.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

first of all, simmikie, I apologize for sounding like a smart ass. It wasnt called for. I am not in any form or fashion, represent them in any way. I am just a paid and happy consumer of theirs. What does the future hold. I really dont know. A year ago some asked the same thing and here we are today and mine gets updated still periodacally, so they are still at it. I mean, in all honesty, how many vendors period will be here in a year. I bought the lifetime license and if a year from now it is worthless, I dont care. The product is damn good and allows me to run it and nothing else. So, there isnt a correct answer, just an answer.:)

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I just finished the 15 day trial and purchased a license. I feel comfortable with GeSWall, and I can understand it.

17. simmikie

no offense taken. and you are right, Geswall is an excellent security, with many happy customers. i just wish Brian would give himself more of an opportunity to succeed. of course ultimately it's his call to make. his company to guide as he sees fit.

Mike

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Thanks simmikie. It is good and I have asked, fairly sternly for an update of its future. I feel as a paid consumer I am entitled to this. If I am to enlighten others of Geswall, then I should be able to say it is safe to purchase. If not, I wont.

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Brian, just sent me a long email with what I was asking for. I will post the following but he asked that all not be unveiled yet and I wish to respect his wishes. Beyond what I post, I will say, I like what I hear.:thumb:

GentleSecurity is in good shape and continues to develop and support
    its GeSWall products line. We appreciate our users feedbacks and
    feature requests.

Thanks,
    Brian L. Walche
    GeSWall Support

It may not be what some want, but I am sticking with them because of what the future will hold.

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I got the reply too but can,t share it also.

21. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

I have been using the free Geswall for a couple of days and cannot believe how quiet it is. Installed in a couple of minutes and got a pop up asking if I wanted to run FireFox isolated [yes] and havn't heard anything from it since. Seems very light and browsing is certainly a bit faster than it was. Is this all there is to it, I was expecting a day or two of pop ups while it settled in. I keep wondering if I've not installed or set it up right, if it is this good it's a keeper. :D
    Any advice / hints on running it much appreciated.

22. iphone

iphone Registered Member

IS GesWall really good for stop malware and virus ?

23. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

@Iphone & Dark star Yes and Yes

An policy based sandbox/HIPS realy is that quiet

A policy based HIPS chaines virusses in the limited user environment, meaning all trusted/protected files/programs/registry hives are saved.
    When GW fixes this issue mentioned in post 37,38,39 it really stops malware

Regards Kees

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree Kees, and hopefully that wont take to long to fix.;)

25. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Of course Geswall stops malware, like any other security and sandbox software, I never had any doubts about that.
    You better find out where and against which malware Geswall protects you. In other words what are the limits of Geswall ?
    Every malware that isn't stopped by Geswall, needs another security software to fill the gaps of Geswall.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.