GesWall free and Pro version

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

2. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

wow this is horrible news aigle. i think geswall is going the same way that bufferzone free did a few months back. oh well, i guess i'll have to learn to live with it. both geswall and bufferzone were/are excellent products that are almost idiot proof, they are worth the money.

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I understand GentleSecurity decision, GeSWall 2.5 is a kickass app
    I can live with the free version or go with a free AV and pay the Pro version of GeSWall

4. Yorky35

Yorky35 Registered Member

I've been using GesWall 2.5 and prior betas for a while now, and really like this product. It's easy to use, unobtrusive, and very stable ( I need something easy as I am still learning about Tiny PFW, months after installing it).

I'll probably upgrade and buy at some point in the future. I had hoped it might be free for personal use in the future, but everyone needs to make money.

5. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

If you use the freeware, I hope the splash screen to try pro version only appears once, that can be annoying if not.

dja2k

6. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

I think there is a checkbox to do this in the splash screen to try pro version dialog box.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

ya, there is sure an option.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I see it in other ways. Paid means more improvements in future and better support. Free version might be enough for many users.
    Still more features wil come in next version.
    BTW I will get a free license for various bug reports and proposals.

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm sad. Of course it's their product and their business. But i'm allergic to paying for security products. So many great free products... GeSWall was one of them.

Being limited to the browser and e-mail client doesn't cut it. Unless there's a way to do what the paid version does.o_O

Anyone knows what's different/ better, in your own words (experience)?

10. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@someone

The only thing different between the free and pro version is that the pro version comes pre configured with all those apps (IM, Web browser, Email client, P2P, etc...) but the free version only comes pre configured with Web browsers and Email clients. There's nothing stopping a knowledgeable Geswall free user from configuring Geswall free to work with IM, P2P, etc... just like Geswall Pro does. Also I still belive you can right click an unknown app and select "run isolated". It's annoying but not world shaking :D

11. Yorky35

Yorky35 Registered Member

@Aigle

Brain from GesWall offered me a free licence too - was very surprised by his generosity. I'd actually decided to buy it anyway!

PS did you post on Geswall's forums under "Henk" (who I knew from the Tiny forums), or are you someone else... just wondering.

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Thanks zopzop,:thumb: i'll have a go at it in a few days. Lets see if it's not too complicated.

13. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

yeah me too. i'll just buy the thing if only to support gentlesecurity. they got a real winner on their hands.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No, I never posted there.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

A very nice thing that at the moment license is one time purchase only, not to be renewed every year. That is what I understand from this.

Attached Files:

16. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

humm... that's different. Is it lifetime for upgrades also? (GeSWall 3,4,...)

17. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

no you have to pay for upgrades like that. upgrading from geswall pro 2.5 - 2.XX is free. from 2.5 to 3+ you have to pay :D

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That makes sense.

19. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

alergies are a part of life. i doubr Geswall went into business to treat your symptoms. it also seems unlikely to me that Geswall shares your sense of entitlement to their software....though i have been wrong before.

Mike

20. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

:blink:
    Did i say they were for charity?
    That i was entitled to their software?
    Where are you reading all of this?:D

21. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Does anyone think the free version is needed with AVG Internet Security Suite?

22. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It's up to you. AVG bases on signatures, GeSWall will block malware from keylogging, read from your confidential folder, alter trusted apps... No matter what kind of malware.

You can save files, but as long as it came from the browser, for instance, and you were running it as untrusted, those files are untrusted as well, unless you say otherwise. They can't hurt you, in theory. But they will be there.

Free version is as zopzop mentioned: it comes with preconfigured rules for the browser and email client. The paid offers more rules for a lot of applications.

I've tried the new version, and it does seem to be worth buying, if you like GeSWall. Configuring the free version needs you to know how each app. works. Like what registry key is allowed...

Is there an option to delete untrusted files from a session? Like temps...?

23. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Would be a great addition ;)

24. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Ok everyone thanks.

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U have to do manually, the files are marked though.
    Automatic clean up might be a future release feature. I did suggest thie feature to them few months back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.