GesWall combinations/issues etc...opinions please..

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Dundertaker, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hi:) ;

Would like to ask for opinions on the use of GesWall with probable security combinations, say:

(1) Avira Premium + Outpost Pro + Malwarebytes paid + HitmanPro free + GesWall(with Sandboxie free as backup)

(2) Avira Premium Security Suite(w/o Proactive/firewall module) + Outpost Pro + Malwarebytes paid + HitmanPro free + Geswall

(3) Avira Premium Security Suite(w/o Proactive/firewall module) + Online Armor Premium + Malwarebytes paid + HitmanPro free + Geswall

(4) Avira Premium + Online Armor Premium + Malwarebytes paid + SASpy free + GesWall(with Sandboxie free as backup)

Are there any known issues with the combinations or any issues conflict that you guys know of with one or two security apps? The baseline is GesWall freeware version first..

Can you help me with some settings with GesWall towards the said security softwares so as not to have any conflicts whatsoever......?

Is it safe to run GesWall freeware when you have Sandboxie free already installed?

I heard about GesWall causing systems to drag or freeze at some point...have you any experiences with this?

My plan is to use the probable combinations on an old pc I want to secure as a backup (with 2.5gb ram P4 2.6ghz cpu...). Will there be any issues here? Have tested Avira Premium + Online Armor Premium + Malwarebytes free + SASpy free + Sandboxie free and have had no issues whatsoever.

OR,

If there are any combinations that you guys here have used that has been doing great please do share it:D

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks!:)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

On an "old pc" any of these combinations in real-time are IMO, overkill.

GesWall is a little more sensitive to other programs installed and I know in the past that there were incompatibilities between GW and Sandboxie on the same machine.

Then layer lightly. Just using GW + a standalone AV in real-time with Malwarebytes and HitmanPro as on-demand scanners should work well and give you good protection. Add in taking regular image backups and it should result in a fast, backup machine.

Overall, if you use "sandbox" software such as GesWall/Sandboxie, rather than depening solely on blacklist scanners, you should be able to run less security programs in real-time.

3. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I used geswall and never had any issues.

I ran it with Shadowdefender and Antivir FREE,and that was it.

I would use it again in a heartbeat if I choose to :D

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Blackcat provided you with a sensitive advice: use a light layering

GeSwall Free with Avira, backed up by Hitman Pro (free) and MBAM (free) scans on demand.

When my memory serves me right (I used GeSWall when they launched, got a Pro lifetime lisence from Brian), disadvantage of GesWall free is that you can not change untrusted to trusted status with right click menu command. It is not a big issue (you have to enter GeSWall console to remove download from untrusted list).

Alternatively you could use Avast Free (file shield only, very smart caching so very light) and buy a DefenseWall Personal FireWall from the money you safe with Avira Premium. Benefits: white list install, easy right click change to trusted for non-white listed aps, active support and no incompatibility issues as far as I know.

Or use freebies only GesWall free + Avast free and HMP + MBAM on demand

Regards Kees

5. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Incorrect.

Right click in free version to to switch from untrusted to trusted. Thats what I did.

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I used geswall free for a long time and I loved it. I'm not sure why I stopped using it. I never had any issues with geswall while running OA++ or EAM 5. It was fairly light and wasn't a resource hog. With the free version you can add programs with application manager. Its a shame that there isn't some active development. I liked that when you download something it automatically becomes untrusted. There is a little G next to it. You then have to right click and trust it. Great for me because I'd forget if I ran a scan on it first.

7. Dundertaker

Hi all:) ;

@Blackcat/Kees1958;

Appreciate the reply and considerations. Very interesting there:thumb: . Have gotten used to my old combo with my existing pc. I have been a Sandboxie user now for a year or so and like it. But would really like to try GesWall since I heard about "sandboxing".

Will try out the light layer in the old one. Will not use SBIE on the old pc. Only GesWall with the other combo light layer.

Can you also do like run a program or suspicious file in GesWall? In SBIE I have a sandbox specifically for that purpose.(I used the approaches/advises here in the SBIE threads).

Are there any approaches I need to know when setting-up GesWall? Something like the SBIE configs....

@Kees1958;

Along this line, DefenseWall also caught my eye recently. Good reviews and a lot of guys are saying it's a good firewall. Was considering using it on the new pc... How does it fair on leaktests? Does the whitelist/non-white list sort of like the IP Blocklist of OP and OA? Can it be used with the MVPS host file?

"I used GeSWall when they launched, got a Pro lifetime lisence from Brian"
    --- any other Pro license promo available there?:)

Cheers!:)

@Boost/kjdemuth;

Thanks for the reply.

Any additional set-up things you may wanna share with GesWall freeware? Yeah, still no active development on the rise:(

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

GesWall is a policy management sandbox with some virtualisation capability (the redirect option). Theoretically it can, only it would need expert configuration for that specific program. Henk(I think 1956 :) is a real poweruser. Maybe he is still active on GW forum.

DW scores 100% with the test I could replicate with Matousec. It fails one test on the Comodo Test. DW allows an untrusted file to drop something in Program Files directory. Since it also is marked untrusted it can't do anything. Ilya keeps this in for gamers.

DW is at the same time on of the user friendliest programs and with its resource protection option a power house. It makes it possible to seperate untrusted from untrusted. This is quiet a feat for a policy management HIPS. I played with resource protection a lot. Ilya has taken over some in the default setup. Ilya seeks feedback of users a lot and integrates it in future releases.

Regards Kees

9. Dundertaker

Hi Kees1958:) ;

Thanks for the reply.

Will check out the GW forums later.

On DW,very interesting. Will take a look at it. BTW, I have installed GW on a spare(old)hdd of the old pc(not the regular system disk).
    It was fine but looks a bit sluggish at start...maybe just on start. Had problems making SWareIron ran inside GW( I asked it at another thread I posted for GW confg recommendations). Will still fiddle with it tomorrow after work and will let you guy know of the developments.

Thanks!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.