Geswall and IDM

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by zerotox, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Hello guys! Would you please help me with my issue. I'm using Geswall Free and it prevents me downloading files in firefox through IDM. Instead
    it downloads them with the built-in firefox download manager. Is there a way to make IDM work again?

Thanks a lot

2. zerotox

Please guys, can anyone help me, I tried even never isolate for Internet download manager and again, Geswall wouldn't let firefox access it to download a file with it instead of with the buit-in downlader.

3. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I know it's a ghost town but have you posted your issue in geswall's support forums??

4. zerotox

Well no actually. Thanks for the idea. Should've done it, may be I'll get help.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Well I am not an expert. All you have to do is just see the geswall log and add some rules to allow IDM to run isolated and access necessary resources, files and reg enteries.

I tried and this worked. Add IDm to always run as Always Isolated. Add these Allow ruels for IDM.

C:\Documents and Settings\Shahbaz\Application Data\IDM\*
    C:\Documents and Settings\Shahbaz\My Documents\Downloads\*
    HKU\S-1-5-21-4283323769-3592583927-3463341776-1006\Software\DownloadManager\ShowTipOnFirstCatch
    HKU\S-1-5-21-4283323769-3592583927-3463341776-1006\Software\DownloadManager\

Reboot your PC and it should work now. There may be better rules and you can even use the rules wizard. Also rules will change if you change some settings of IDM, like download folder location etc. I used defaults.

Note that all your download will be isolated and you need to them or run them as trsuted in order to install them.

1.jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    1 (4).jpg
    1 (5).jpg

6. zerotox

Thank you for your help. But it didn't work. May be because I'm downloading to the desktop. I changed the rule to allow file creation to desktop but of no avail. May be there has to be a rule for the plug-in IEmonitor, because this is what the log shows: "IEMonitor.exe ISOLATE on start from IDMan.exe" when I try to download.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That is OK.Recheck your rules. They must be exactly same. Post a screenshot of your rules pls.

Also reboot your PC and check again.

8. zerotox

Hello aigle, finally I gor it to work with your rules. The problem was that I added them to the ones already automatically created by the Wizard. I deleted every rule except the ones from you and what a relief - now it works.
    Thank you very much!
    I have two more questions - since installing Geswall my language bar disappears and often blocks, I can't switch languages. The other thing I have to sort out is the problem with reading a pdf file in Firefox through Foxit reader. Geswall won't let me.
    Thanks again!

9. kupton

kupton Registered Member

Check your pdf file association in Firefox: tools, options, applications. I had the same problem when using the foxit fireofx plugin. Change it to "always ask" and you should be good.

10. zerotox

Thank you, Kupton! I tried it your way but didn't succeed. Then I changed in Options/Applications in Firefox FoxitPDF document from Use Foxit reader plug-in for Firefox to Use Foxit Reader 3.2 and voila - it works.
    Thanlk you guys for your time and help. Now remains only the Language bar problem.

11. zerotox

Update. When I download a file with IDM, at the end it won't allow me to save it to the desktop. The message says it can't rename the file from the temp. directory to the directory specified (that is the Desktop) The system cannot find the file specified. Please help.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Post a screenshot of your rules.

13. zerotox

Hello aigle. Here's a screenshot. I actually reverted IDM to save the files in the default location to see if this helps but to no avail.
    This is the error Ifound in the IDM log: Error 5 opening registry key in URL::OpenDMRegSubKey()

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Add allow rule for ur desktop. Reboot ur PC n report back.

15. zerotox

Actually, as I wrote in my previous post, I reverted the storage folder for IDM to the default (My documents/Downloads) but without success, again the same message - cannot rename (temp folder...downloaded file to storage folder...downloded file name).
    At the end I ended up uninstalling IDM - it's a nuissance - there are problems with it as well in IE8, when run safer with Online Armor.
    Nevertheless I would like to thank you very much for your help.
    Probably I'll try Download Master as it is preconfigured in Geswall.

16. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

lol!

You removed the victim when it was your security apps causing the issue in the first place.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I agree!

18. zerotox

Well, to be honest I got tired of trying to fix it for many hours. And anyway it prevented me from downloading files, even e-mail attachments. And if after IDM fails, Firefox takes up downloading, then what's the use of keeping it. I posted on the Gentle security forum with no answer at all, I googled for any exemplery rules concerning the IDM issue - nothing, so finally it was Geswall vs IDM and I made my choice.

19. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Get rid of GesWall then. Who wants to use a security app that interferes with normal programs.

20. zerotox

Well, that's a point, really. I agree with you, but I need a program of this type as primary security tool and as I have MSE installed, Defensewall wouldn't work properly. So for the time being I have to put up with Geswall.

21. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hey there zerotox

All i'm tryin to say is don't let these security programs rule your rig. You already have MSE. Now you just need a firewall and an imaging program. Take a few images each week and if you get infected which is highly unlikely, just restore the image to get rid of it.

22. zerotox

Hello, Tobacco,

Thank you for your sincere and good-hearted advice. Actually I use Acronis for imaging. May be I'll install a decent firewall and dump Geswall. My only concern is that I've read in MSE forums and elsewhere that MSE is working best with Windows firewall and often hard to use with 3rd party ones.

23. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Comodo and Avast. Outpost and avira. PCtools and MSE. All work well and all are free. You can also add threatfire to either. Not a bad combo.

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Strange that it works for me without any issues. See my rules and a perfectly downloaded file via FF and IDM.

All my settings are default and you must reboot the system after making rules. XP SP2, Latest GW, FF and IDM versions.

Attached Files:

• 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      84.2 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      56.7 KB
      Views:
  25. zerotox

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.