geswall 2.9 network control problem

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Banshee, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Folks,

I have installed gw 2.9 and it works ok here. I am running win 7. One thing tho. I can't figure out how to block internet access to all applications and let out only the ones that need access (browser, email clients ..)

I checked the help file. The "restricted for trusted" trick does not work for me.I added the rule but all applications can still access the internet no prob.

I tried rebooting,reinstalling but nada.

Any help appreciated.

2. overangry

overangry Registered Member

Try this
    http://www.gentlesecurity.com/blog/index.php/2008/02/03/blocking-network-access

3. Banshee

Thanks ! I tried again setting security class to confidential and adding a rule to let mirc out. It did not work.I rebooted and it worked. Added another rule for IE and I had to reboot to make it work.

Looks like you need to reboot a couple of times before it works.

4. overangry

overangry Registered Member

My pleasure Banshee, I'm unable to assist you with your other issue, but I'm sure you'll get the appropriate help:D

5. Banshee

I am having a couple of issues already. i have one rule with "security class" set to confidential and another with "restricted for trusted" but some application sneak out anyway. Utorrent happily connects to the net and when i try to run it untrusted it starts and runs as trusted o_O

6. MagisDing

MagisDing Registered Member

Maybe the official userguide can help you much.
    PS: "restricted for trusted" is supported only for network-type resources.

You meant that it is impossible to run utorrent as untrusted? I am not sure,
    Check if the property of utorrent,maybe it is set for "never isolated"o_O

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  7. Banshee

It is set to "isolate on access". re utorrent: when i click on run isolated sometimes it starts unisolated and sometimes it does not even starts.o_O

8. MagisDing

MagisDing Registered Member

I've found some similar problems: ran acrobat, one popup came out to ask me whether to isolate this application, click yes, it ran as trusted:( Right click and "run as isoalted", it works:blink: Then double click acrobat.exe, choose "yes", this time ,the application ran as untrusted:doubt: So wierd:oops:

Another sample: ran chrome, the main window of the browser and the popup came out at the same time! The later one can't stop the former from running even isolateit!:cautious:

Continue testing GW~~~

BTW: I found 2.9 a bit delay when I double click the tray icon.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I guess u might avoid rebooting by just stopping and restarting geswall service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.