GesWall 2.6.Beta2 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

BTW, what are the results of GW 2.6 against Greenborder test?

Cheers

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Kees, it,s OT but i want to ask is there any significant advantages of 64 bit over 32 bit for an ordinary home user? What about patch guard there?

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

They named it beta test. I call it alpha. Test,s first beta messed with system 32 ( GW failed though partially acc to this test)and 2nd beta will not show me any results. After that I don,t intend to try.

I wrote to GW support at first beta browser test but they said this test doesn,t seem to be bug free or so accurate.

4. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Thanks Aigle! I installed Beta version and i is working well. I just upgraded to Pro trial. Looking forward to the final release.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Use a decent software firewall. Best of breed is a better approach than a sandbox with a rudimentairy firewall included.

6. Kees1958

I do not know patch guard (suppose it reminds you to install elementairy safety patches on your OS and front office aps).

The advantage of 64 bits OS with 64 bits processors is a performance increase of at least 20%. It is just a pitty that Microsoft took all the performance gain away with their new user interface. So when you use the old interface in Vista your OS, system services and security software (64 bits AV, CyberHawk, GeSWall in next release) will benefit of the 100% increase in usable registers. Also the OS|-included software (IE, WMP, Windows Movie maker will benefit).

Regards K

7. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

I have Comodo and it stopped of course the test from calling home.

But the philosophy of such tools as GW or BZ is to make any information taken from the system useless (sensitive infos are denied access from within sandbox). So I can assume that outbound protection should become optional with such tool.

8. Kees1958

BZjet,

Your are right, but other sandboxes like DefenseWall also have the option to make some directories confidential. Problem with the DefenseWall implementation is that untrusted processes (e.g. your e-mail application) are not allowed to read them. This makes it for the average user complex (he/she can not save its mail attachements in the confidential folder).

Therefore Greenborder/bufferzone implemented a rudimentairy firewall. With SensiveGuard (try it) you can deny non-user initiated access to directories of every prigram with internet connection. You can also deny any program to change files wich look like exe's or could mean a vulnability to your system's integrity (e.g. files with extensions like *.exe, *.com, *.dll, *.tlb, *.ocx, *.vxd, *.sys *.scr, *.ini,*.hta).

So I hope your are happy with GreenBorder, but with f.i. Comodo in your setup DefenseWall provided more value for money.

Regards

9. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

I don't have GB, but BZ PRO 2.5 beta

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Nice to see some BZ users. I really like BZ but just wish somehow they can overcome the delay it causes in browsers launch etc.
    Also last version I tried was failing against KillDisk I think.

11. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Are you jokingo_O

I have it on my comp. It can't do much. :shifty:

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried previous version RC and reported to them and they told it will be fixed. If I remember correctly Virtual Desktop was not working too at that time( not protecting the system).
    What about slow browser launch etc?
    Ok, if u put KillDisk on ur desktop, then go to Virtual Desktop mode and then launch KillDisk as usuall( without right click BufferZoned Run option, it will damage or not?

13. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

LOL!

I sure hope you meant that Killdisk can't do much.

14. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Got it! :D Better than BZ...

New version optimized, but almost the same delay.

I don't know why they still keep this feature. Totally useless. I don't see the gain. So I can't answer your question (don't use it).
    Anyway, on normal mode, as long as a nasty stuff like killdisk is in the virtual sandbox, there is small probability it can damage the disk.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I really like this function. It,s like a Power Shadow or ShadowUser session without need of any reboot but it,s a pity that it does not work( atleast when I checked it).

16. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

The application wizard is for the paid version only?

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No, for free as well. But it,s new so don,t expect it to be so good ATM. Infact GesWall rules-making needs a knowledgeable user.

18. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I have been following this thread with interest. I hope you all don't mind if I ask a question.

Can novices use this program? I did go to the site but thought I would ask the users for official answer. Can you use Opera browser?

Thank you,

19. KikiBibi

KikiBibi Registered Member

GesWall has preconfigured Opera rules. So yes you can use it.

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s Ok for novice. It supports 10 browsers including Opera, FF and IE.
    Not to mention of 8 mail clients, multiple messengers and many more applications. U can even request ur own 'specific application' rules.

21. Rilla927

@Aigle, KikiBibi,

Yay, it supports Opera. It seems like Opera gets left out of a lot apps for support.

Yes, I seen the request your own specific application, that's cool.

You can probably hose your system *if you answer something wrong with this app, ha. That's okay, thats why I have FD-ISR.

I'm really amazed how tight you can lock down your system with this program where your other security apps would never catch it. I seen all the examples and methods at the site. Am I correct that the wizard comes with the Pro only?

Right now, my security apps consist of Kav 6.02.614, OA+FW, BOClean, Super Antispyware Pro (on demand). Would Geswall get a long with these apps?

I see they have a forum too, thats great.

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No, usually not at all.
    No, it comes with both free and pro.
    In the past I have used it alongwith KAV trail.( there was conflict betwen the two many months back- system used to freeze, then it resolved).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  23. Rilla927

Well, that's very good news.

That's good to hear. Is their support forum good at resolving issues if it can't be resolved at Wilders?

Sorry for all the questions, I think it's better to be informed than not. You have been very helpful, thank you so much.

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U are welcome.

I never posted on their forums. Infact since long ago I am getting very good support via mail. However when I started this, there were no forums at that time. As Brian from GS never asked me to go to forums, so I still use the same way( not even a member at their forums). Personally I think as now they have their own forums, it might be better to first go to forums, and then mail to support if the issue is not resolved at their forums.

25. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

See it yourself

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.